Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trendline in numbers 3.5, can't set intercept to 0?!

In previous versions of Numbers, you could adda trendline, and set the intercept to 0. The option has disappeared in 3.5?! For data analysis in the lab, this is very important.

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 7:17 AM

4 replies

Oct 8, 2015 7:38 AM in response to physics_etc

you can create your own series using the slope from the trendline

Here is an example:

User uploaded file

Columns A and B contain the data

cell F2 contains the calculated slope of the data

F2=INDEX(LINEST(B,A,TRUE,TRUE), 0)

this is shorthand for... select cell F2, then type, or copy and paste from here, the formula:

=INDEX(LINEST(B,A,TRUE,TRUE), 0)

C2=A2×$F$2

select cell C2, copy

select cell C2 thru the end of column C, paste

Oct 8, 2015 8:04 AM in response to Wayne Contello

OK, thanks, but...

In the last version of Numbers, we could just highlight the data, plot it, insert a trendline and check a box to set the intercept to 0. Just like Excel. Now I have to make them create formulas... It's a physics class, not a spreadsheet class. So frustrating.

Why would anyone in their right mind remove functionality from software?!

At this rate I'll just have them download LibreOffice and use that.

Thanks.

Oct 8, 2015 10:13 AM in response to physics_etc

physics_etc wrote:

OK, thanks, but...

Why would anyone in their right mind remove functionality from software?!

Ok, interesting comment, but...

This is a forum for fellow Numbers users, who try to give helpful answers, as Wayne has done, so why would anyone be unappreciative?

If you have a beef with (or constructive suggestion for) Apple, then in your menu you can go Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback.

Meanwhile, I'm going to incorporate Wayne's suggestion. It's a good one (I suspect most users don't know how to use LINEST in either Excel or Numbers) and provides flexibility not available from a solution "baked into" the user interface.

SG

trendline in numbers 3.5, can't set intercept to 0?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.