Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reformat New Hard Drive

I recently purchased a new hard drive for my late 2012 macbook pro. Installed it, and I was trying to format it so that I can install Lion on it. However when I attempt to erase and format every option is grayed out. I have tried everything possible that i could find on just about every forum. I did the Command R and go into the disk utility and I created a bootable USB drive but I just cannot get this hard drive to format. I though it was the hard drive being bad, so I ordered a new hard drive and still same thing. I am at a complete loss and not sure if I should just take this thing into an Apple Care Center. I tried booting with the Option key pressed and it allows me to get into the Disk Utility from the USB but again still wont let me erase and format the new hard drive. When I boot into the DU I see my USB cruiser flash drive and below I can see the new hard drive with the disk1 and it has Mac OS X Base System below it. I click on all those and the only drive i can erase is the USB drive. Tried both reset pram/smu and nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 7:10 AM

4 replies

Oct 8, 2015 7:39 AM in response to mojo300

Hello, first you Must create a single GUID Partition Table - Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Power up holding [command] + [R] > then open Disk Utility

Your new HD should be listed: i.e. ST1000LMxx.

Highlight that drive with one click on it. Then click Partition Tab.

Use ( + ) at bottom left of window to add. Or pull down Partition Layout bar and choose 1 Partition.

You will notice the "Options" button below the window as well. Click on it and choose GUID Partition Table. You will Name your new partition i.e. Macintosh HD or a name of your choosing. Click "Format" button and choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" When all of this is good. Click "Apply".

I suggest to power down and power back up holding [command]+[R] and let your Mac go through the Internet Recovery process to put your Mac Registered with the OS X it shipped with plus your new Hard Drive. Upgrade OS X there after. I sure hope this helps you out. I included a link below. Cheers!!

http://macs.about.com/od/applications/tp/usingosxdiskutility.htm

Reformat New Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.