Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Format HD for windows & Mac

I would like to partition a 2T external hard drive so that 1T can be used to back up an Apple Mini (OS X 10.7.5) using Time machine, and the other 1T used to back up a Windows 7 laptop.

As I understand Disk Utility, it looks like this would be possible.

Am I right??

Jim S

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 11:59 AM

Disk Utility and select 2 Partitions - GUID Partition Map

Name and erase the first for Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Name and erase the second partition MS-DOS (fat).

When finished, plug your external HD into your Windows laptop and format your MS DOS disk as NTFS.

I have done this same thing and it works great. NTFS is read-only on Mac which allows to copy from but not write and the Mac partition is read-only in Windows allowing you to copy from but not write. So file swapping works well. Cheers!!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2015 11:59 AM in response to Jim@Lewes

Disk Utility and select 2 Partitions - GUID Partition Map

Name and erase the first for Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Name and erase the second partition MS-DOS (fat).

When finished, plug your external HD into your Windows laptop and format your MS DOS disk as NTFS.

I have done this same thing and it works great. NTFS is read-only on Mac which allows to copy from but not write and the Mac partition is read-only in Windows allowing you to copy from but not write. So file swapping works well. Cheers!!

Format HD for windows & Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.