Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore iPad without updating iOS? Removing "other"

I have 9 GB of "Other" in my iPad2. Amazingly, "Other" got larger when I deleted some apps.

In reading other posts, this can be removed by doing a "Restore iPad", then "Restore Backup". But from what I read, this will also change my iOS to the lasted iOS - 9.0.2.

I do not want to upgrade to iOS 9 yet as I am still running 10.6.8 on my Mac and want to continue to do so for a few more months while I finish using an old piece of software. iOS9 will not sync with the iTunes 11.4 I am using.

Is there anyway to remove all of this garbage taking up my storage space, without upgrading to iOS 9?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 8:16 AM

3 replies

Oct 11, 2015 5:43 PM in response to Lawrence Hammer

Unfortunately, you don't really have any other option given the information you provided.

For a brief period after a new version of iOS is released, Apple continues to sign the older version. They don't publish this information, but for at least a few days after the release, the old version can still be installed if you search around for how to do it.

At this point, iOS 8 will no longer be signed. You have no choice but to upgrade to iOS 9 when you do the restore.

You could do a backup to iCloud, then restore from that, essentially doing away with using iTunes for now. However, I'm not sure if/how you would go about switching back to using iTunes.

~Lyssa

Restore iPad without updating iOS? Removing "other"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.