Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Server 5 disk is running full in a few hours

Since I upgraded my Mac Mini to El Capitain and Server 5 I have the problem that the disk (1 TB) is running full after a short while. I find large files in the Library/Server/ServerDocs/Date directory ending .eyetv. These files are about 25GB and they get more and more until the disk (1TB) is full. That takes a few hours.

I don't habe anything else installed on the server than OS X and the Server 5, Devonthink Pro Office and Printopia. I stopped Devonthink. After that didn't help I did a fresh install deleting the previous hard drive. The problem is still continuing. I don't have Elgato's EyeTV installed on the server. This program is running on another mac in my network. However I stopped it. But I think that has nothing to do with these files. The files have old creating and modifying dates which are not matching todays date.

I browsed the log files but I couldn't find a hint what process is generating these files. Before I was running OS X 10.10 and Server 4.x. without any problems.

The only strange thing I can discover are thousands of these log entries create by one of my Mac's in the network:

Oct 8 17:51:41 AppleFileServer[1126] <Info>: IP 1x.x.x.xxx - - "OpenFork add" 0 0 0

Oct 8 17:51:41 AppleFileServer[1126] <Info>: IP 1x.x.x.xxx - - "OpenFork 2f7" 0 0 0

Oct 8 17:51:41 AppleFileServer[1126] <Info>: IP 1x.x.x.xxx - - "OpenFork 9e3" 0 0 0

Oct 8 17:51:41 AppleFileServer[1126] <Info>: IP 1x.x.x.xxx - - "OpenFork b08" 0 0 0

Oct 8 17:51:41 AppleFileServer[1126] <Info>: IP 1x.x.x.xxx - - "OpenFork 2ee" 0 0 0

Oct 8 17:51:41 AppleFileServer[1126] <Info>: IP 1x.x.x.xxx - - "OpenFork b12" 0 0 0

Oct 8 17:51:41 AppleFileServer[1126] <Info>: IP 1x.x.x.xxx - - "OpenFork 2f5" 0 0 0

Oct 8 17:51:41 AppleFileServer[1126] <Info>: IP 1x.x.x.xxx - - "OpenFork 2fc" 0 0 0

Oct 8 17:51:41 AppleFileServer[1126] <Info>: IP 1x.x.x.xxx - - "OpenFork 9eb" 0 0 0

Any Idea?

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11), OS X Server 5

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 9:20 AM

18 replies

Oct 8, 2015 12:03 PM in response to reinipbr

Hmm... I don't see a /Library/Server/ServerDocs directory here, but then I'm still running Yosemite. I also don't have a ~/Library/Server directory. So I'm wondering where this "ServerDocs" directory came from.

I have used EyeTV in the past, and know EyeTV recordings do use the .eyetv filename extension. So it seems like those files would be coming from EyeTV. Do you perhaps have EyeTV configured to store videos on a shared volume on the same machine as OS X Server?

Oct 17, 2015 3:31 PM in response to philouz77

Hi there,

i have exactly the same problem. I have updated my mac mini late 2012 to el capitan without any problems. Installed the new OSX Server 5.0. And Now the folder /Library/Server/ServerDocs/Data uses massive ammount of disk space until the system drive is full. It is going to spam my disk with useless trash. In my case 660GB Data. Mainly .plist files and some .png files. I think it is not a feature, it is a bug.

My solution until now is to end the network sharing in the file server. If you have no shares present or you have disabled the filesharing service, the folder does not get full with this trash. Just disabling IOS sharing: no change. This does not function, the folder gets bigger and bigger every minute. Clean new install of System and server: no change.

I am really pleased, if someone may give a hint or solution.

Oct 17, 2015 10:37 PM in response to qiij

I have not seen this problem, but when I have mysterious files being written I find the iosnoop tool can be useful in finding out who's writing them.

sudo iosnoop -m /

This command causes the isotope tool to report, in real time, every read, write, open, close, create, move and so on that occurs on the boot filesystem. It can be lot of data, but just let it run for a little bit and then press Control+C to stop the tool.

Find a few records that refer to your mystery files; you can use the Find command in the Terminal window. On each line, iosnoop will report the name of the process that performed that operation. That's where the files are coming from. (Note that if the process turned out to be smbd, or something like that, then the culprit is probably a file sharing client.)

Nov 19, 2015 5:33 PM in response to reinipbr

Folks,

Need to add my voice to this thread with the same experience on OS X Server 5.015. Just like for others above, my Data folder in the ServerDocs is quickly filling up with mostly PNG files. However, in my case I'm recognizing them as converted jpgs of my own! They probably come from my Photos library somewhere on the Mac that's running the server. Really creepy!

This must be coming from the same Mac because in the server's File Sharing settings it shows 0 connected users. Also, noticed that if I turn File Sharing off, the visibly ongoing addition of PNGs stops. If I turn it back on, with a little delay it resumes.The really weird thing is that I have the same version server running on two other Macs that I oversee and the Data folder remains totally empty!

I tried running sudo iosnoop -m / as James above suggested, but Terminal says it can't run it as I don't have sudo permissions... Also weird, it's my admin account...

This is really disturbing and we need to get to the bottom of this. Look forward to new thoughts, suggestions...

Thanks!

Nov 30, 2015 1:59 PM in response to A Bite of Apple

Update:

Did some experimenting and seems like the unwanted files in the Data folder of ServerDocs begin accumulating as soon as "iOS" sharing is checked in the protocol section for each share. If even one of the shares has that on, accumulation will start. As soon as "iOS" is turned off for all shares, it stops. Having WebDav on or off makes no difference.

Can someone please replicate this?

Dec 1, 2015 10:28 AM in response to István Flesch

I have the same issue with thousands (100,853) png's being created in that folder. But the pictures aren't mine!!! They seem to be being pulled from archived file backups on another had drive on the computer.

Can i delete them without affecting the integrity of the original files?

Also how do they get there like the above I did have iOS sharing turned on?

If it is because of iOS sharing I would assume it is making smaller quicker loading versions of all files being shared, but the is just a guess!

Dec 3, 2015 5:37 PM in response to István Flesch

Yes, you're right. If iOS sharing is enabled on a shared folder, the sdmd process will index files in that shared folder for sharing to iOS. Disabling iOS sharing on all shared folders will stop new files from being generated in this folder.

Disabling iOS sharing on all shared folders has the same result as the solution mbresink suggested of running "sudo serveradmin stop documents". Stopping the service directly using the serveradmin command line tool will help, but only temporarily since the documents service will be restarted if and when modifications are made to shared folders in Server.app.

You can confirm that the documents service is off by opening Terminal and running:

sudo serveradmin status documents

And verifying the returned state is "STOPPED".

Jan 5, 2016 7:20 PM in response to _jonathan__

While my disk wasn't filling up, I was experiencing the same issue with the creation of many files when turning on iOS sharing. While I'm not experiencing your disk space issues, I was concerned and did a little digging and thought I would share what I found.

From what I can tell, it looks like the server is creating a set of image files for each file in the shared directory to use when an iOS device is browsing the file directory. With the image files it is clearly true that the files created in /Library/Server/ServerDocs/ are smaller, thumbnail versions of actual images stored in my shared directory. This created thousands of image files, but none of them is very large and space consumption isn't a problem on the server drive in my case. I don't have any other media file types (eyetv, video files, etc.) in my shared directory so I can't compare file sizes on the copies to originals for those types of formats. Perhaps the server is creating small-format versions of the video content for preview on iOS devices, or some similar use, but this has a larger impact on disk space since the original video files are much larger to begin with. Just something for someone else to look into.

OS X Server 5 disk is running full in a few hours

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.