Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

all partitioning options not available on partitioning pane in disk utility (OS 10.6.8)

Have installed Yosemite (on MBP running 10.7) in it's own partition with no problems. I was hoping to do the same on my 2010 iMac (3.2 GHz, intel core i3, 8 GB RAM, 2 TB capacity, c.500 GB used, running 10.6.8), however, in Disk Utility's Partition pane all options/buttons are greyed and unresponsive (the partition pane is only accessible by highlighting the first disk listed in the column on left, titled "2 TB Hitachi (long id code number here) Media"). If there is no fix for this I'm wondering whether a solution would be to copy/clone the 10.6.8 system to an external HD, then erase all data on, and format and partition the iMac HD into 2 and re/install the 2 systems in those. Explanations and/or solutions gratefully received.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2010, 3.2 GHz, 2TB, 0.5TB used

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 8:35 AM

Try booting off the DVD and see if you can use Disk Utility to partition the drive.

3 replies

all partitioning options not available on partitioning pane in disk utility (OS 10.6.8)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.