Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPod shuffle won't take more than about 95 songs

I can't even get 100 iTunes songs on my brand new iPod shuffle even though on all the sales literature it says it holds up to 500. I have tried loading a playlist with 440 songs, but it said I needed another 6GB. So I loaded songs manually and it was full by 97. I am about to take it back for a refund but before I do - am I doing anything wrong?

iPod shuffle

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2015 6:08 PM

Higher bitrate of the song is, higher is the size and better audio quality.

I have ipod shuffle 4th gen 2GB with 700 songs, but all songs are on 64kbps.

First of all on itunes while sync choose option to convert higher audio to 128 kbps (or 192 for better quality)

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2015 6:08 PM in response to AngelaPow

Higher bitrate of the song is, higher is the size and better audio quality.

I have ipod shuffle 4th gen 2GB with 700 songs, but all songs are on 64kbps.

First of all on itunes while sync choose option to convert higher audio to 128 kbps (or 192 for better quality)

User uploaded file

Oct 22, 2015 12:17 PM in response to AngelaPow

"Up to 500" is an estimate based on assumptions about both song length and size of media files (where the latter is dependent on the degree of audio compression used). If you're getting less than 100 songs onto a 2GB device that suggests that your songs are significantly longer than the nominal "three minute pop song" and/or you're using a lossless format for your audio (ALAC, AIFF or WAV). To get 500 songs onto a shuffle assumes an average song length of around 3 minutes and requires that you use 128kbps AAC (or equivalent MP3) lossy compression.

New iPod shuffle won't take more than about 95 songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.