Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound on iPad Mini Gen 1 after update to iOS 9

Hi there,

I recently updated my iPad Mini Gen 1 (64GB) to iOS 9.0.2 and no matter what I do, I can't seem to fix the 'no sound' problem.

There's no sound when :-

- testing out ringtones

- toggling with the lock sounds and keyboard clicks

- watching videos on Youtube

- listening to music from iTunes

While doing all the above, I made sure the volume was full and the mute switch was not turned on. I even tried resetting the iPad to factory settings and restoring it through a backup, doing the usual 'turn the device on/off' thing, and made doubly sure the iPad was using the latest update. It's definitely not a speaker problem because even when I have fully working headphones connected, there's zero sound.

I'm at a major loss at what to do now and would really appreciate if somebody here could help me out.

iPad Mini, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 8:30 PM

Hi

I think you have a hardware problem .

Make an Appointment at Apple store .

They will repair or replace out of warrenty .

You will need to pay part of the cost.

Cheers

Brian (uk)

7 replies

Oct 8, 2015 9:22 PM in response to curiouslileyes

You mentioned "resetting the iPad to factory settings and restoring it through a backup". Backups can get corrupted and/or contain glitches which when restored to the iPad will simply restore the glitch. If you make a backup of an iPad that contains a glitch, you also backup the glitch.

What I recommend you doing (if you have not yet done so) is to restore the device as new and do not use a backup. Use this "clean state" to test the device fully.

1. Make a current backup (you'll revert back to this if further testing below yields no positive results)

2. Restore the device using iTunes

3. After the restore, you'll be asked if you want to use a backup or setup the device "as new". Choose "as new"

4. Setup the device as minimally as possible to avoid wasting time...do not install apps/data/music/etc.

5. Test the device to see if you get sound...check keyboard clicks, alert tones, etc. Maybe install one small game app...Do you get sound?

If you get sound, the sound glitch is contained in the backup you used and also the backup you just made before the restore in step 1. In this case, you'll have to rebuild the device from scratch, manually adding back your settings/apps/music/data...everything. It will be a huge pain in the !@# and you'll lose data but if the audio works, then you've corrected the issue.

If you do not get sound, then chances are very good that your backup is fine and you likely have a hardware issue. In this case, you can restore the device again, this time using your backup and proceed to other troubleshooting steps...like taking it in to an Apple Store. 😐

Oct 8, 2015 9:38 PM in response to curiouslileyes

Good luck to you...one last thing to try though (we are trying).

Get a headphone plug, and insert it into the jack, then unplug it numerous (many) times. Also twist the plug in the jack back and forth repeatedly (likely more times than you feel comfortable doing). There may be something amiss within the headphone jack since there's a switch contained within it that changes the circuitry to switch between headphones/speakers. Contacts have been known to get corroded and many times, the act of plugging/unplugging as well as the twisting can help to clear out corrosion. I doubt this is your issue since you state it started immediately after the iOS update but it can't hurt to try this...

No sound on iPad Mini Gen 1 after update to iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.