Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad beeps when plugged into Macbook Pro

When i plug my iPad into the USB on my Macbook Pro, it continuously beeps as if i am unplugging and plugging it back in. Which is annoying not only because of the sound but because it keeps popping up notifications on my screen and i can't do anything on my computer because the notifications keep popping up, now i have a "device is no longer connected" notification from iTunes that won't go away even though I've clicked OK about a hundred times. What is the deal here? I thought Apple had this whole thing about making every device work together seamlessly? ....

Whats even more frustrating is the people saying that the iPad is only made to plug into the wall charger..which I'm pretty sure is false...but regardless, I have a USB hub with 4 USB ports on it that I have plugged into my Macbook, I plugged the iPad into that and it pops right up in iTunes and Photos and everything. Only problem here is that it is not charging which is really the whole reason I am plugging it in.

Any help with this would be great. Thanks

OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 11:11 AM

If the iPad keeps beeping, it's because it's not connecting properly. It could be a problem with the cable, with the USB port on your computer or with the charging port on your iPad. Look at both ports with a strong light and a magnifier to make sure there's no debris lodged in them. Try a different cable.

While it is theoretically possible to charge an iPad from a computer, it's generally not optimal. Many USB ports don't provide enough power, especially on older computers. The iPad will charge, albeit slowly, if you make sure that you keep the screen off. Throwing a 4-port hub into the mix is going to lessen the possibility that you'll be able to charge the iPad that way. Plug the iPad into the computer for syncing and the wall for charging.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2015 11:11 AM in response to curban20

If the iPad keeps beeping, it's because it's not connecting properly. It could be a problem with the cable, with the USB port on your computer or with the charging port on your iPad. Look at both ports with a strong light and a magnifier to make sure there's no debris lodged in them. Try a different cable.

While it is theoretically possible to charge an iPad from a computer, it's generally not optimal. Many USB ports don't provide enough power, especially on older computers. The iPad will charge, albeit slowly, if you make sure that you keep the screen off. Throwing a 4-port hub into the mix is going to lessen the possibility that you'll be able to charge the iPad that way. Plug the iPad into the computer for syncing and the wall for charging.

Oct 8, 2015 11:17 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I know charging with the computer is not the best but it does work slowly and there are times when i need to get just a little juice in my iPad at school when i don't have the wall charger (i don't carry the charger around with me because i don't want to lose it since it is ridiculously expensive and I know that i can charge it through my computer when needed). However, I cannot even get the computer to sync my iPad when plugging it into the USB.

Theres no way its the cable, as if i have the same cable plugged into the wall or 4 port hub it works fine. I have two USB ports on my mac and i have tried them both and both of them make the iPad beep and discount/connect the iPad off and on.

iPad beeps when plugged into Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.