Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my MacBook Pro 13' (late 2011) shut down unexpectedly?

My MacBook Pro (13' late 2011) shuts down unexpectedly. This didnt happen while I was still using mavericks (I just upgraded to yosemite last month), I've been encountering this problem for quite so many times now. I was wondering if this is just an OS problem or a hardware problem coz my fan has also been roaring though I'm setting it to sleep, and sometimes..my battery bar also shows an "x" or no battery available.And if the problem is about the hardware, Im also wondering if it's connected to my wobbly screen.

OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 9:49 AM

5 replies

Oct 8, 2015 8:34 PM in response to Ziiiing

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

In the Console window, select

DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION System Diagnostic Reports

(not Diagnostic and Usage Messages) from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

There is a disclosure triangle to the left of the list item. If the triangle is pointing to the right, click it so that it points down. You'll see a list of reports. A panic report has a name that begins with "Kernel" and ends in ".panic". Select the most recent one. The contents of the report will appear on the right. Use copy and paste to post the entire contents—the text, not a screenshot.

If you don't see any reports listed, but you know there was a panic, you may have chosen Diagnostic and Usage Messages from the log list. Choose DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION instead.

In the interest of privacy, I suggest that, before posting, you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.)

Please don’t post other kinds of diagnostic report.

I know the report is long, maybe several hundred lines. Please post all of it anyway.

When you post the report, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Oct 9, 2015 7:35 AM in response to Ziiiing

Power or other problems related to unexpected system sleep, shutdown, lights or fans call for an SMC reset. Read all the steps.

Before Resetting the SMC

Try each of the following steps in this order before you reset the SMC. Test the issue after completing each troubleshooting step to determine if the issue still occurs.

1. Press Command + Option + Escape to force quit any application that is not responding.
  2. Put your Mac to sleep by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Sleep. Wake the computer after it has gone to sleep.
  3. Restart your Mac by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Restart.
  4. Shut down your Mac by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Shut Down.

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if it's not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time. The power adapter indicator light may cycle off / on once.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Oct 9, 2015 8:55 AM in response to Ziiiing

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Why does my MacBook Pro 13' (late 2011) shut down unexpectedly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.