Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the new Apple Pencil be able to use with the IPad Air 2?

iPad Air, iOS 9

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 10:06 AM

18 replies

Oct 16, 2015 8:23 PM in response to GR46

Good question for clarification track800m. Many other pencils work with an associated app on previous iPad models to The Pro once they're installed. The pencil could be made or its app programmed to do so. Sure it makes sense for Apple to market it as for The Pro initially, as another feature to attract people to buy The Pro. However, limiting sales of the pencil to only The Pro in the future doesn't make sense, even for a simple release and return model. Unless all you responding so affirmatively have a source from Apple that has confirmed such, I'd say it's better to confirm a fact when you actually now it as fully accurate.

Oct 16, 2015 9:24 PM in response to GR46

If you seen the Apple Keynote demonstrating the Apple Pencil with the iPad Pro, the iPad Pro has new screen technology that the Apple Pencil only, currently, works with.

Apple never shown it working with the other iPad models or announce that it works with all currently released iPad models.

This new screen technology is NOT in any of the current iPad lineups.

That new screen technology may find its way into future iPad models that WILL be able to use the new Apple Pencil, but older iPad models will have to rely on using older third party stylus technologies.

The Apple Pencil has, at least for now, is being produced and sold, exclusively, for the iPad Pro models.

Apple states this on the website. Apple Pencil FOR iPad Pro.

What is so hard to understand?

You do not have to like or accept this fact, but it is a fact as stated so BY APPLE.

The Apple Pencil IS exclusive to the iPad Pro only.

If you want to spend $100 on a great third party stylus for your iPad look at the Adonit Jot Touch w/pixelpoint.

http://www.adonit.net/jot/touch/

Contact them by email to make sure that it is 100% compatible and works as Apple had made some screen technology changes in the newer iPad 2 Air and new Mini models. Check with them to see and make sure that they have corrected this issue in all of their stylus offerings before deciding to purchase.

Good Luck to you.

Oct 16, 2015 9:42 PM in response to track800m

At this point, nobody knows anything other than all the literature stating: "Apple Pencil FOR iPad Pro". If someone wants to believe it will work with other devices, more power to them. If someone wants to believe it will write in space (just like one of those nifty Space Pens) or even make them breakfast in the morning, go right ahead.

The fact is that no one here knows all the details and those details have been presented as they are known. Why ask a question if you don't want to accept the currently known answer?

Oct 17, 2015 7:05 PM in response to bobseufert

You said it, buddy. People are all unique and different. Some look forward to a large iPad, like the iPad Pro (sounds like you'll be buying?)...all the more power to you guys. I have an iPad Air 2 and an iPad mini 2...I seldom even use my Air 2; the form factor of the mini just suits me better. 😀

Hope you are well, amigo. 🙂

Oct 17, 2015 7:40 PM in response to SergZak

Aloha Serg.

I'm doing fine, thanks. I'm hanging on to my iPad 4 as long as possible. I had always wanted a slightly larger iPad. I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of the Pro as long as my 4 still works like new. IOS 9 works so well for me and loosened up space that I now have the luxery of time before I need to make any decisions.

Stay well. Bob.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.