Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Configurator 2 not restoring my iPad from a backup without wanting me to update the device to the newest iOS?

I work in K-12 and we have several shared cart environments. We do not use a MDM right now due to budgetary reasons, so we manage the carts by hand using Configurator.

We recently made the switch to Configurator 2 and are now starting to set up a new shipment of iPads that we received.

I have taken an iPad through initial setup and updated to 9.0.2 and made a backup of this device. When I try to use Configurator 2 or an Automator workflow I get an error saying:

"Configurator could not restore "iPad" because the backup was corrupt or not compatible with the device that is being restored. Update the affected devices to the latest version of iOS and try to restore from the backup again."

This seems counter intuitive to what we are trying to do if I have to update each device to 9.0.2 before I can restore the update... What am I doing wrong?

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 11:19 AM

4 replies

Oct 9, 2015 5:24 AM in response to iToaster

This doesn't really answer my question, but thanks. We know about Meraki and used to use it but were under the impression that it would not work well (read: not get many of the features) with iOS 9. As far as Profile Manager we were attempting to use it but one of the other guys I work with is spooked about binding it to our AD because he is unsure of what problems it may cause...

Oct 13, 2015 8:16 AM in response to jramsey21

I'm having the same issue. It's seems to be because you cannot restore an iPad with a lower iOS than the original master backup. So, if you back up and 9.0.2 device and try to apply is to a 8.4.1 device it will not let you. This I understand. However, I do not understand why it wouldn't just update the iPad in question. This was the norm for Configurator 1.7.2 and a few lower versions. So now instead it's become a 2 step process. I must first update the iPad then apply the backup.

While Configurator 2 looks pretty, it's been giving me **** for the past week. It's given me absolutely no reason to transition from 1.7.2.

Why is Configurator 2 not restoring my iPad from a backup without wanting me to update the device to the newest iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.