Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Add Bookmarks Folder back into Bookmarks in Safari?

For as long as I have been using Safari (10 years) there was always a way to remove an entire bookmarks folder, drag it to the Desktop, alphabetize it, and then drag it back into the Bookmarks folder. Now it seems it can't be done.

I had a bookmarks folder "Design" which I dragged to the Desktop. I alphabetized it. And now I want to add it back into Safari bookmarks.

But it won't be added.

What am I doing wrong?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X El Capitan (10.11), null

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 10:32 AM

10 replies

Nov 28, 2015 6:05 PM in response to ahurvitz

I am having this same issue. Dragged my bookmarks to the desktop as I always have, including those in folders, to alphabetize. I have always been able to do this in the past and then after alphabetizing put right back into safari by selecting all and dragging back in. This no longer works and it is causing me a real problem.

Feb 9, 2016 9:24 AM in response to ahurvitz

It still works. Just slightly different step at the end.

Drag folder out of Safari (as before).

Open the folder as a Finder item on desktop to do any sorting, de-duping, you need to.

In Safari, in the Edit Bookmarks window, click New Folder at the bottom, name it Sorted, or DESIGN2 or whatever.

Open the edited folder on your desktop again, and select all Cmd+A

Drag those selected items into the new folder you created.

Then once you are sure they are added, you can delete the original unsorted folder.

I had the same problem you were having, and after fighting with it for 30 minutes, and looking at other s/w solutions, it occurred to me to just try it this way, and Boom! worked just like it should. (Although I miss the old way of folder out - folder in.)

Feb 19, 2016 4:37 AM in response to and#38589__

I just sort of solved my issue. I think the problem I encountered is caused by the iCloud system not really treating @me.com and @icloud.com as the same.

My account was registered we back when MobileMe is still available. Then iCloud came out, the iCloud service now allows signing in using @me.com or @icloud.com as Apple ID.

On all me other devices, I signed in using @me.com. But on my Mac computer I signed in with @icloud.com.

Then the problem started. I was trying to use Finder to get the bookmarks automatically sorted alphabetically by dragging all the bookmarks and bookmark folders from Safari to Finder, then when I try to drag them back in, only the bookmarks in the top level of the selected items will be imported back in. Bookmark folders and bookmarks in deeper level will not be imported.

I was forced to manually recreate each folder in Safari Bookmarks. But if I try to rearrange the folders, they would immediately snap back to the place they are at before. Also I was not able to delete all the bookmarks, they would just reappear.

Only after I sign out and sign back in with @me.com would this problem be resolved.

How to Add Bookmarks Folder back into Bookmarks in Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.