Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fan Speed Problem on MD318LL/A

Hello

Im currently working on a MD318LL/A.

The problem is that the fan is very loud.

After some poking around i have discovered that only the left fan is running a high RPM ( around 7k+)

The right fan is sitting around 2k

The temps seem fine and the cpu is not under load.

What could be causing this issue?

I have already reset the SMC.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 11:01 AM

12 replies

Oct 8, 2015 11:21 AM in response to N0way

I did not say the fan has died. I said that was possible. Unless you have taken the cover off you cannot verify a fan is running based on a third-party utility.

No, sensors cannot be replaced directly. They are usually on the motherboard or on a component that is connected to the motherboard.

Oct 8, 2015 1:02 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Yes actually just ran the quick one returned "4MOT/4/40000002: Left side - 7101"

Running the extended one as we speak.

Looked this code up and could not find any info on the exact code.

I did find a "4MOT/4/40000002: Left side - 0" post that suggests that the fan motor is failing, but as stated above i have already replaced the fan with the same problem occurring. In fact I even put the old fan in another MD318 and it is working just fine.

The fan is currently over-revving and i have read that if the fan is running past 10% of its designed rpm it will return this kind of error.

I believe this is the case.

Problem is that even with a 3rd application i cant get a signal to the fan to turn down the rpm.

All of this makes me think there circuit failure on the logic board.

However, could it still read the RPM of the fan if this is the case?

EDIT

Just finished the extended hardware test returned same error

Shocking I know..

Fan Speed Problem on MD318LL/A

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.