Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to install larger hard drive preserving OSX and Bootcamp?

Running out of space on my internal SSD on my MBP. Would like to easily install a new and larger internal SSD drive without going through the painful contortions of trying to reinstall everything for Bootcamp (with Windows 7). In the ideal world, there would be an easy way to partition the new drive as desired, then simply copy (or restore?) the existing contents.

What's the easiest method?

Saw a post here, from seven years ago, but thought I'd check for any "current wisdom": Moving my Windows partition to a new hard drive | Apple Support Communities

Currently using both TimeMachine (which does a nice job with OSX—but not bootcamp as far as I understand) and Carbon Copy cloner for backups, in case either of these help. Happy to use any other recommended methods that work well.

Grateful for any insights before I meander into this blindly!

MBP 17"

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 11:02 AM

4 replies

Oct 8, 2015 12:21 PM in response to Yoüf

Please look at Windows cloning products like Winclone, CloneZilla or CampTune for cloning BC/Windows to the new drive.

Yoüf wrote:

Related: is it possible to simply move Bootcamp over to an external USB drive, and still boot from this?

Only external Thunderbolt drives can be used. USB and Firewire drives are not supported/valid.

Best way to install larger hard drive preserving OSX and Bootcamp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.