Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removed text shortcuts keep coming back?

Removed text shortcuts. Hello, I have created several text shortcuts who appear on my IMac, IPhone and iPad. I have tried to delete these, but it seems impossible, they keep coming back.. Does anybody know what to do?

iMac, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 11:45 AM

3 replies

Oct 9, 2015 9:16 AM in response to Djali123

I fought this problem for a long time under iOS 7 and 8 and finally I seem clean for about a month. Seems there are corrupted iCloud sync files that get replicated to each device logged into iCloud. Some people report that if you're on iOS 9 and a late model of Yosemite the problem should be fixed. If you're updated, try deleting the items on each device you see them, then restart all your devices.

Otherwise, there are some solutions discussed in a number of forums and blogs. They are all advanced and require using the Terminal to remove hidden files, which might be dangerous. Some solutions requires jailbreaking.

iOS 8 Keyboard Shortcuts won't delete. <-- Good info but not conclusive

http://www.michaelkummer.com/2014/11/11/icloud-keyboard-shortcuts-that-keep-retu rning/ <-- See "Update 7"

I never jailbroke my devices. I achieved success by

1. manually delete the shortcuts and then turn off each iDevice
  2. on each Mac you have, delete bad shortcuts from System Preferences, then remove all files in ~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~TextInput/Dictionaries/ except on the last Mac, keep the file that has your user name for that Mac, [an alternate approach is to delete ALL files-- you might lose all shortcuts]
  3. restart last mac
  4. start all devices. YMMV.

Removed text shortcuts keep coming back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.