Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet quit working after El Capitan upgrade

Hello! After updating El Capitan my Ethernet quit working. When I update to Yosemite I already had this issue, but it can fixed this solution:

Go to HD -> Library -> Preferences

Rename "SystemConfiguration" to "SystemConfiguration.OLD"

Restart System
Done!

Today this solution dont work. System says I can't rename this folder. How I can fix my issue?

Here Re: Ethernet not working with El Capitan users advise to reinstall Ethernet drivers. But I know where I can download drivers and how I can install it? Do you can prompt me?

Info about my Ethernet Cards: http://i.imgur.com/g7J40lq.png

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 11:24 AM

4 replies

Oct 8, 2015 11:28 AM in response to f3dorov

If you are using a real iMac do the following:

Reinstall El Capitan Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the indented Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless and more reliable.

Oct 14, 2015 11:24 PM in response to f3dorov

I found another solution for my problem:

— Delete all network interfaces in System Preferences > Network

— Delete file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist (and maybe you can need delete file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist)

— Reboot

— After Reboot go to System Preferences > Network and add all network interfaces (wi-fi Ethernet and other)

— Done!

Thanks for all!

Dec 23, 2015 11:56 AM in response to f3dorov

Thank you. Your solution solves my problem.

I have early 2008 iMac 20" and when I upgraded to El Capitan my ethernet setting said "Connected" but when I opened iTunes, Safari or Firefox it wouldn't connect.

I went to HD and deleted just this file ----> /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/Networkinterfaces.plist

rebooted and Voila! All internet ethernet connections are working.

Ethernet quit working after El Capitan upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.