Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect to the internet due to a virus / malware of some sort, need help!

So I've been having some annoying internet problems the last few days. Today I realized something was very wrong. The only websites I can visit are Itslearning, facebook and youtube, for some bizzare reason. EVERYTHING else will be blocked. I wont be able to visit it, no matter what it is, and sometimes when I try it will type in a strange url, api mybrowser and then gibberish.

I was thinking of getting an anti virus program but... I CANNOT connect to the internet, so now I'm stuck. What can I do?

I tried: Going into my web browsers, ( Firefox, Safari and Chrome ) And deleting unwanted extensions, though I only a couple extensions and one was mine, adblock. I removed them none the less, but this had no effect. I tried reseting all my settings etc in safari, that also had no effect.

I re-booted in safe mode, and this also had NO effect.

My MAC is my life at the moment, all my essential documents and program lisences are on it. A factory reset is pretty much out of the question as I would lose the ability to use most of the software installed on the computer.

So, I ask, does anyone know what I can do to solve this problem? I am freaking out at the moment. Really need help. As I tried to concact Apple support, but all it told me was that I should call them, and there was no ticket option. I am not very comfrotable speaking to strangers over the phone, so doing that is out of the question. If no-one here knows a way to solve this, is there any way to contact apple without a phone call?

Really need some help here, thanks in advance!

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 12:00 PM

16 replies

Oct 8, 2015 8:45 PM in response to Dergonu

First, be certain you are rousing reasonable Domain Name Server (DNS) numbers in your system Preferences > Network > (your interface) > DNS.

if you are not sure what your ISP recommends, you can use OpenDNS:

This is the Server that looks up:

http://apple.com

into

http://17.142.160.59

as a test, if the numerical version above works fine, but the words stall and do not work properly, you may have a DNS problem.

Oct 8, 2015 11:01 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I don't really understand, and I'm afraid of messing something up. When I go to type in the new DNS you posted it removes the old ones, and I don't know what that will do.

If it is a DNS problem what does that mean? How do you fix that?

Like I said there appeared to be some form of malware attempting to type in a strange URL at the start, especially in Firefox, and I cannot connect to the internet with any web brower, other than the three webpages I listed, ( Youtube, itslearning and facebook.)

I would also like to point out that the problem is the same wherever I go, at least from both school and at home.

Also, Howard, that link is the one I used. All it tells me is to call them by phone. I cant get the web chat option when I type in my issue.

Oct 9, 2015 7:30 AM in response to Dergonu

... The only websites I can visit are Itslearning, facebook and youtube, for some bizzare reason. EVERYTHING else will be blocked.

Since this site is not being blocked, how are you posting here? Are you doing so from another device, or are you using your MacBook in a location other than the one in which you're experiencing trouble?

Oct 9, 2015 12:52 PM in response to John Galt

I am using my desktop computer.

I don't know if this is linked to the issue, but the last day this computer's anti virus has started blocking elements every time I log on. I did use my MAC with an ethernet cable linked to this computer a few days ago. Is it possible that the virus has traveled over to this computer as well? Of course, like I said its being blocked by my anti virus here so its not a problem, but I guess this confirms that it is a virus, if it is the same thing.

Still in need of help, I'm at a loss here.

EDIT: Also, John, if you read the post above carefully you'll see that I already said, the issue persists even if I change location.

Oct 9, 2015 1:10 PM in response to Dergonu

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Load OS X Recovery by holding and r (two fingers) while you start your Mac.
  3. At the Mac OS X Utilities screen, choose Get Help Online.
  4. Safari will launch, but it will lack your bookmarks, favorites, history and other preferences.
  5. Load a few web pages and observe how well Safari performs in Recovery mode, compared to how it has been.

Restart your Mac normally and describe your results.

EDIT: Also, John, if you read the post above carefully you'll see that I already said, the issue persists even if I change location

Some replies to original posts often do not appear to a Discussion participant until that participant posts a reply. It is an ongoing bug associated with this site.

Oct 9, 2015 1:49 PM in response to John Galt

Ok thank you for the reply.

Nothing is happening when I do that. I turn it off, then on again, hold down and r but there is nothing happening.

But I did try putting my safari on private mode, and it seems like that fgot past the problem. I can visit pages it wouldn't let me before. Still wont let me do anything in firefox or chrome, and if I go out of private mode the problem is the same.

Oct 9, 2015 2:40 PM in response to John Galt

Thats what I did but nothing happened. Tried it 3 times.

But since I was able to get online with the private mode, I did get to download an anti virus program. It tells me there is nothing detected yet, though I'm doing a full search through the harddrive, something that its estimating will take 2-3 hours so I dont know if that might help yet.

Oct 9, 2015 3:09 PM in response to Dergonu

Stop downloading and installing things. Doing that is what causes problems to begin with, and is the likely reason for the problems you describe. Depending on exactly what it was you dowloaded, installed, and what you did with it, it may be necessary to completely erase that Mac and reconfigure it.

Whatever "anti-virus" garbage you are using, uninstall it according to its instructions. Do not use it, or anything like it. Never use any "cleaner" or "zapper" type programs to uninstall software.

You wrote that you are using OS X 10.8.5 "Mountain Lion". It installs the Recovery Partition accessed by booting OS X Recovery as I wrote. If you are unable to do that, advancing further troubleshooting will be difficult at best.

Oct 9, 2015 3:20 PM in response to John Galt

I appriciate you are trying to help, I really do. At this point I'll take any advice I can get, but your attitude is uncalled for.

The anti virus I am running just found a trojan and it was called api mybrowser something, which was the URL that firefox attempted to send me to. I removed it, and I hope that this was what was causing the issues. As the scan is still going I don't know yet, but I'll come back once its done with an update on wether or not the internet issues have been resolved by removing that piece of malware.

As for the thing you asked me to do, I really did attempt exactly what you told me three times and it did not work. Could you maybe attempt to explain a little more datiled and noob friendly, ( you can probably tell I'm not very used to Macbooks), what it is this method does and what it is going to achiveve? How does it help fix my issue/ identefy it?

Sorry if there is a little bit if spelling mistakes / poor English, and sorry if you find me a little annoying. Like I said, I really do appriciate the help.

Cannot connect to the internet due to a virus / malware of some sort, need help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.