Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic trackpad not working properly after upgrade to El Capitan

I just upgraded to El Capitan OS X 10.11 yesterday. I have a 2011 15" MacBook Pro and use the Apple bluetooth keyboard and Magic trackpad. The keyboard works fine. When the trackpad is connected, it will track movement but will not let me click. Swiping works; only clicking won't, whether with one finger or two. Furthermore, clicking won't work on the trackpad on the computer either until I disconnect the Magic trackpad by removing its batteries. After that, the trackpad on the computer works fine.

I did not have this problem before upgrading.

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 11:55 AM

11 replies

Oct 21, 2015 11:12 AM in response to Choephel

I have a similar issue. After El Capitan upgrade magic trackpad no longer works with my 27" iMac. I have another iMac that still has 10.6 on it and the track pad associates fine. What I've tried so far:

• Rebooting the computer
  • Turning bluetooth on and off
  • Replacing the batteries on the magic trackpad
  • Powering the magic trackpad on and off
  • NVRAM reset
  • SMC reset
  • Safe mode + new pairing
  • Recovery mode + new pairing.

This is very frustrating!

Dec 18, 2015 2:12 AM in response to Choephel

All my bluetooth devices were not working after El Capitan upgrade. My annoying symptom was there mouse tracker pad didn't work but then noticed that I could not switch bluetooth on/off.

Solution 1 here worked for me - http://kecodoc.com/bluetooth-connectivity-does-not-work-properly-in-mac-os-x-cap itan-fix/

The search did not bring back the plist files but if you look in Mackintosh HD\Library\Preferences, there are probably 2 files there to delete -

com.apple.Bluetooth.plist

com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.lock

Reboot and mine was all fixed.

Magic trackpad not working properly after upgrade to El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.