Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro battery won't charge - indicator light fades out

My macbook pro will not turn on. When I press the button to check the battery charge level, I get no lights at all, and I hadn't used it for few days prior to having this issue, which led me to assume my battery was dead. I don't believe my charging cord is the issue because it works correctly when plugged into a friend's macbook pro. When plugged into my laptop, the indicator light on the cord comes on initially, but after a minute or so, it begins to fade out and then shuts off. I have been switching back and forth between my charger and a friend's charger every time the light goes out, and each time I swap the chargers, the light comes on initially and then fades out the same way. At first, I got an amber light each time I attached a charger. After maybe an hour of swapping, I am now getting a green light, indicating a full charge. However, I still get no indicator lights for the charge level. I wish I could remove the battery and see if the laptop will turn on, but the battery is not accessible on the model I have (A1278). Does anyone know what this issue means? Could it be resolved by just replacing the battery?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 11:59 AM

3 replies

Oct 8, 2015 1:04 PM in response to lcsowals

Try this:

(You will need a #00 Phillips driver to take off the bottom panel.)

Take off the bottom panel and disconnect the battery. When you do so, use a non-conductive tool, otherwise you may short circiut the battery ands harm the MBP.

Connect the charger.

Try to start the MBP.

If successful, turnoff the MBP.

Reconnect the battery.

Ciao.

macbook pro battery won't charge - indicator light fades out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.