Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages vrs 5 won't open vrs 5 files via file icon

Pages vrs 5 won't oper vrs 5 files

Mac OS Pages question. When I open a Pages doc I get an error message saying I need a newer version of Pages to open it. When I right click to access Open With, Pages 5.5.3, the newest version of Pages, shows as the default app to open these types of files and does indeed open it when I click on that choice. I can’t seem to get my Pages docs to open just by clicking on the doc icon though.

This error message occurs even when I try to open a doc created with 5.5.3 and copy/paste text from an older version of Pages (3.0.3). I do have version 3 installed to handle older files but I’ve got version 5 selected as the default app to open these types of files. What gives?

Mac Mini OSX Yosemite

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 12:21 PM

1 reply

Oct 8, 2015 1:08 PM in response to wonderlips

If you leave Pages '08 v3.0.3 running without an open document, and you then double-click on a document created by Pages v5, then you will be told that you need a newer version of Pages to open this document. That is because the internal document format of Pages '08 (and Pages '09) is entirely different than that used by Pages v5. Ensure that you have quit Pages '08 v3.0.3 before you attempt to open any Pages v5 document, and it will (usually) open as expected.

There are some occasions where Pages v5 itself becomes confused and with no other Pages running, will refuse to open its own documents with a double-click. It will open them using the open with Pages v5 (default) (5.5.3) menu item, or from the File menu.

Unfortunately, Pages '08, Pages '09, and Pages v5 document icons do not reveal which version of Pages created them.

Pages vrs 5 won't open vrs 5 files via file icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.