Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro no longer printing captions to tape

I need to ship out a television show for work, but the computer we usually use to print to tape no longer works. I used a different one that has a newer version of FCP on it, but it no longer prints the captions from the video file onto tape. Here's my process, what changed in the new version, and everything I've tried.

First I export DV/DVCPRO 720x480 (DV25/50) Closed Captions video file from MacCaption. Then I put the file on the timeline in FCP. Print. The color bars on the timeline play, the title slate plays, and then the actual video file starts with captions playing no problem. They are embedded in the video data already and play along side it. But not anymore.

Now FCP has a new option in the print window to add captions from file. I'm assuming FCP no longer prints captions unless it embeds them itself. So, I do some research and try exporting a .scc file from MacCaption and adding it during printing. No luck. The captions still don't show up while printing. I tried exporting a quicktime file for FCP and adding the captions from that. This kind of works, since captions technically show up, but it is still not an option because no matter what, the captions always start from the beginning of the timeline, and I need them to start when the video file starts.

To be more specific, on my timeline, the timecode starts at 00:58:10:00. Color bars and a title are put in, and the the actual video starts at 01:00:00:00. When I add in captions from the quicktime file, the captions automatically start at 00:58:10:00 when printing starts, not when the video file begins. In MacCaption I tried setting the caption data lowest/lower limit to 00:58:10:00 hoping that would re-sync them in FCP, but that just made them not show up again.

Why doesn't FCP print captions directly from the file in the timeline anymore? Aren't the captions part of the video data?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 12:23 PM

2 replies

Final Cut Pro no longer printing captions to tape

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.