Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to connect an AppleTV to a TV via a VGA port

My TV has a VGA port and I was planning on purchasing an HDMI to VGA converter in order to use the AppleTV on this TV. I realise that I need a signal converter, rather than a simple cable with the right ends. My question is: will this set-up carry the audio signal as well, i.e. will I be able to hear the sound through the TV speakers when playing content coming from the AppleTV? Will it make a difference if the content is streamed from say iTunes directly from the AppleTV or comes from an iPad via AirPlay? I've googled this question in many different forms and cannot get a satisfying answer. I'd really like to avoid buying a new TV! Thank you.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 6:25 PM

HDMI is the only supported method so there won't be a guarantee with any converter. It won't supply audio so you would stiill need to purchase a DAC (digital to analogue converter) and connect via optical. Even if this all did work you would be unable to view protected content (ie iTunes, Netflix) and functionality could cease at any time.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2015 6:25 PM in response to Dornan

HDMI is the only supported method so there won't be a guarantee with any converter. It won't supply audio so you would stiill need to purchase a DAC (digital to analogue converter) and connect via optical. Even if this all did work you would be unable to view protected content (ie iTunes, Netflix) and functionality could cease at any time.

I need to connect an AppleTV to a TV via a VGA port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.