Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete file from Mac but not iCloud

I would like to use the iCloud in order to effectively manage my stuff so that I don't need to get a bigger hard drive for my MacBook. My plan was to put everything into the iCloud folder within Finder, and then select an option to remove the local copy and just leave a copy in iCloud Drive, available for me to download if I wanted it. This is what I did with my music collection when I got iTunes Match and it worked really well.

However I can't seem to find any way of making this happen? When they're syncing there is the little cloud symbol indicating it's syncing but when it has finished the cloud symbol completely disappears and I can't find an option to delete the file from the local drive without deleting it from iCloud Drive as well.

Any ideas? Am I just being daft and missing something obvious?! I've tried searching for help on it but couldn't see anything.

MacBook Pro, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 2:29 PM

iCloud Drive is meant to keep all files updated across all your devices, If you are enabling iCloud drive on a Mac, all files in iCoud will have shadow copies on the Mac, so you can use them offline.

The only way to access files on iCloud Drive without having shadow copies on the Mac is by using only the web interface at www.icloud.com. Don't enable iCloud Drive on them ac, but upload all files using the web interface.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2015 2:29 PM in response to topbin

iCloud Drive is meant to keep all files updated across all your devices, If you are enabling iCloud drive on a Mac, all files in iCoud will have shadow copies on the Mac, so you can use them offline.

The only way to access files on iCloud Drive without having shadow copies on the Mac is by using only the web interface at www.icloud.com. Don't enable iCloud Drive on them ac, but upload all files using the web interface.

Oct 10, 2015 10:37 AM in response to topbin

It still automatically downloads the items onto my Mac.

It will download them, if iCloud Drive is enabled in your System preferences > iCloud Preferences. You cannot enable iCloud drive at all, if you want to keep the files only in iCloud and not on your Mac. But then you can access iCloud Drive only using the Web interface.

Delete file from Mac but not iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.