Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan Install Failed - Now getting kernel panic on login

I have been running the most recent version of Yosemite on a 13inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro. When I installed El Capitan, halfway through it told me the install could not complete due an error extracting the Essentials.pkg file. It advised me to restart and I did, but now when I try to log into my account, white text highlighted on black appears at the top, saying an operating system is not yet set. The computer then crashes.

I started in recovery mode, but the option to reinstall El Capitan tells me I have to restore. This is a problem, as I don't have a backup available of my macbook's SSD. Although I can get back most of the things on there, some things would be permanently lost, so I am reluctant to follow this. I am also presented with disk utility, but I am aware the option to repa disks is no longer used in El Capitan and I am worried that it will worsen things. My Macintosh HD drive is also fully blue, which I'm worried is showing I have lost my data.

I did several diagnostics tests, which found nothing, and also made it to the guest safari page, which is using San Francisco, suggesting some of my installation is complete. However I found no solutions on the apple site.

I've read about a tool called target disk mode, which I'm thinking I could use to transfer my macbook's files to my father's Mac. However, I don't have a thunderbolt to do this (if I went to a Genius Bar, do you think they could do this instore?)

If anyone could help me on how to otherwise retrieve any personal files left on my hard drive and get my MacBook running again, it'd be greatly appreciated. While my music library is replaceable, I had to keep files for my music production software Caustic on the SSD, and I don't want to lose them.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 1:28 PM

26 replies

Oct 16, 2015 11:25 AM in response to MattoAsh

The Target Disk Mode instructions say that the connection should be via Firewire or Thunderbolt, not Ethernet. I am not certain if you can use the Ethernet connection for this function.

I just tested with one of my MBPs and booted into Target Disk Mode without it being connected to another Mac. The Firewire logo appeared. See if that happens with your MBP.

Ciao.

Oct 16, 2015 11:41 AM in response to MattoAsh

MattoAsh wrote:

The thunderbolt logo appears on my screen in TDM, but it wont appear on my mac

On your MBP the Firewire logo appears. Correct?

You boot the second Mac as you would normally. (You do NOT boot it with the T key down) Correct?

On the second Mac, does the Firewire HDD icon appear on the desktop?

User uploaded file

That should appear, you should be able to click on it and it then should show the files in your MBP.

Ciao.

Oct 16, 2015 1:05 PM in response to MattoAsh

A reinstall of an OSX should not have any affect on user data. However things can go wrong therefore a backup is always highly recommended.

The choices you have are to boot into the recovery partition (COMMAND +R) and select reinstall OSX or boot into Internet recovery (OPTION + COMMAND + R) and reinstall the original OSX that the MBP came with.

Ciao.

El Capitan Install Failed - Now getting kernel panic on login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.