Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying a Mac for Autodesk Maya, and Unity

Hello everyone, I am facing a big decision, and cannot decide between a 6 Core Mac Pro with 32BG RAM and D500 or a fully loaded 5K iMac and a 13" retina MacBook Pro with the maxed out CPU and RAM. I am a Digital Arts student, and am in my final year, so I will be doing heavy Unity and Maya work. In December, I will be going home for the holidays, and will have to continue working on my projects from home. Either, I will buy a carrying case for the Mac Pro, and take that on the plane with me and then have a powerhouse of a machine at home when I get back, or I could leave the iMac in my dorm at Uni, and take the MacBook Pro home to continue working on my projects.

I presume that the maxed out iMac will be able to handle the tasks no problem, and it will be even easier for the Mac Pro; however, I am not sure how well a 13" retina MacBook Pro will cope with such intense demands, with the dual core CPU and no dedicated GPU. What I should maybe also keep in mind is that the iMac has a mobile GPU and thermal throttles.

In terms of longevity of the machine and based on how well it will (or won't) cope with my required work, which setup would you go for?

Thanks a lot in advance, your help is very much appreciated!

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 3:01 PM

There are no replies.

Buying a Mac for Autodesk Maya, and Unity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.