Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto stuck needing an update that can't be downloaded

Hello,

I've upgraded to El Capitan and the App Store tells me iPhoto 9.6.1 needs an update. But if I try to update it, I get the error "This item is temporarily unvailable. Try again later". I think that's because iPhoto has been replaced by Photos.

How can I remove iPhoto from the update list and stop the App Store icon permanently having a "1" red badge?

Thanks.

Ashley

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 1:52 PM

2 replies

Oct 9, 2015 2:22 AM in response to stiigvad

Two possibilities:

1. Update iPhoto (See below)

or

2. Delete iPhoto

Either will stop you getting update notices.

To update:

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

]

iPhoto stuck needing an update that can't be downloaded

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.