Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Refurbs, And Applecare

Purchasing a refurb, does Applecare apply to the refurb as it does to a new laptop,

Thanks in advance.

Sara Mae

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 3:12 PM

9 replies

Oct 8, 2015 3:33 PM in response to Sarasgabbery

Most of the same rules apply as if you were buying new.

If the unit is Dead on Arrival, or has major problem in the first 14 days, it must be returned to the shipping point, and can not be exchanged for new at an Apple Store. After that, it is repaired just the same as any other Mac.

1 year warranty is included with same terms as new. Three year extension is available at the same rates as new, and you MUST decide within the first year or you cannot buy the Applecare extension. (same as new.)

No configuration changes or add-ons are allowed. These units are already sealed in the box, and the box will not be opened to add anything.

I know this can be a deal breaker, but I must feel you must know this: ...

...they come in a PLAIN box. You will not have the latest picture-covered box that everyone else who bought the Mac at full price will have.

True, the goods inside will be in pristine condition, and have been re-tested to factory standards. But you don't get that wonderful full-retail box.

Oct 8, 2015 3:41 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

No configuration changes or add-ons are allowed. These units are already sealed in the box, and the box will not be opened to add anything. when

As an aside, a number of years ago when I was ordering a refurbished MBP (my 2010, I think?) I was actually offered some upgrades. As I recollect, the pricing was higher for specific upgrades than what those were for the new ones. Needless to say, I went with plain vanilla and installed my own RAM upgrade and larger HDD. 🙂

Ciao.

Oct 8, 2015 5:56 PM in response to Sarasgabbery

You have up to the 1 year anniversary to move on that purchase, and Apple may send you a reminder.

After that, users might buy it If only they encountered a problem, raising costs for everyone. So Apple says, "make up your mind by the one year mark, or you lose your chance."

With how much slamming around a portable computer gets, i can't see NOT buying Applecare for a laptop.

But if you choose not to, you are deciding you will cover the cost of any breakdowns that occur in year two and three out of pocket.

Oct 8, 2015 7:06 PM in response to Sarasgabbery

Same warranty on the the Refurb as a new purchase. Comes with 1-yr warranty, 90 day call in support.

Applecare if you decide to purchase it, has to be bought and registered before the original 1-yr warranty expires. This can be done over the phone if you wait until the last minute.

*I have never received an email reminder from Apple telling me my one year warranty was about to expire. Mark your calendar.

I always wait to buy Applecare, if I have the money the following year I've bought it in the past, sometimes I don't. Applecare stays with the computer serial number, not necessarily the original owner. This can be a big selling point if you upgrade every two years.

Hard to go wrong with the Refurb/clearance bin.

I have bought 2 computers and a Airport Extreme router over the last 6 years- and no issues.

Refurbs ship in a plane brown box.

Refurbs, And Applecare

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.