Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing OS X 10.6 onto iMac

Hey everyone,

As of late, I've been attempting to preform a clean install of OS X 10.6 onto a Mid-2010 iMac, and haven't been successful at all. I wanted to put the software the iMac came with on clean before upgrading to Lion, Mountain Lion, etc, so as to start in those with a clean slate each time.

I have what I'm fairly certain are the original Install discs that came with the iMac, but whenever I try to start the iMac from these disks, it gets to the white Apple logo screen and goes no further. I've attempted to do this with a purchased copy of Snow Leopard as well, but with the same result.

Because of this, I decided to try and install 10.6 onto the iMac's HD through another computer, one running 10.11 El Capitan. I connected the two computers via Firewire 800, and booted the iMac in Target Disc Mode. When I could access the HD of it on my other Mac, I used Disk Utility to erase the current iMac hard drive to a blank, clean state. I assumed I'd be able to run the 10.6 installer from the original install disk on my 10.11 system, and select the iMac's HD as the destination, but when the disc loads, it won't let me run the 10.6 installer. This is the same way with the purchased 10.6 install disks.

Without being able to load the Install disks on the iMac (via holding Option at startup and selecting the disk or with holding C at startup), and without being able to run the 10.6 installers on my other Mac, how am I supposed to install 10.6 on the iMac? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 3:06 PM

4 replies

Oct 8, 2015 3:12 PM in response to STERLINGJS

Please refer to OS X versions and builds included with Mac computers - Apple Support to find what version of OS X came pre-installed on your 2010 iMac. If you cannot locate the original install DVD that shipped with the computer then contact AppleCare and for a nominal cost they will ship one to you. If you can locate the original install disc or purchase a replacement set, then insert it into the SuperDrive and restart while holding down the C key. Once you have then reformat the HD in Disk Utility and then reinstall OS X.

Oct 8, 2015 3:39 PM in response to Kappy

Ah, this must be the issue then. After looking at the link posted by rkaufmann87 and reading your post, I checked the Install disc I have and it says 10.6.2. I saw the iMac label on the discs and expected them to be the correct ones. Now it seems I have to find, or buy, the 10.6.3 iMac discs. That's a bit of a disappointment. If i had 10.6.4 discs, would these work also? The site rkaufmann87 gave listed this as being included in later shipping Mid-2010 iMacs also. Thanks again.

Installing OS X 10.6 onto iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.