Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help restoring phone!

I have my sister's old phone, she moved into an apartment in California. And the home button on my phone is broken, and the battery has been dead for months. I don't know the passcode on her phone. I want to restore it on iTunes, and create a new passcode, but I don't have enough access privileges for this operation. And I can't update iTunes, or download anything on my computer (Windows 8). What do I do?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 3:11 PM

3 replies

Oct 8, 2015 3:17 PM in response to Hawksfan4848

You have a number of issues here and each one of them needs to be addressed individually.

First off, why can you not update iTunes? What happens when you try to download and install iTunes?

Second, if the battery has been dead for a long time, there is a good chance on a device that old that the battery may not recover.

If you do not know the passcode, you will need to restore the device, and that will require the battery to charge for period of time.

With the home button being broken, it may be impossible to perform any troubleshooting steps. Given the amount of problems you might want to consider an out of warranty replacement on the device, and in the US, for the iPhone 3GS, that would be $149 USD through Apple.

Need help restoring phone!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.