Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages and Keynote documents can no longer be opened after downloading El Capitan.

Since downloading El Capitan, I can no longer access my Pages documents or Keynote presentations on my MacBook Pro. I can see them, but when I click on them, it says "The file 'X' can not be opened" with no further explanation. How can I retrieve them?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 4:28 PM

3 replies

Oct 9, 2015 10:31 AM in response to violets-and-lilies

If your iWork '09 applications were installed from a DVD, and you never applied the Apple iWork 9.3 update to get these iWork '09 DVD applications to their last revisions — this may cause compatibility issues on Yosemite and El Capitan. The Apple iWork 9.3 update is here, and must not be applied to individual iWork '09 applications that were originally purchased from the OS X App Store, or OS X releases older than 10.7.4.

Pages and Keynote documents can no longer be opened after downloading El Capitan.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.