Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot print slides in El Capitan

As of today, I cannot print slides from Keynote. I have the latest Keynote, but I'm still using the GM beta of El Capitan (no time to install the final). Printing has been working fine until today (and I made no software changes that I am aware of in the last several days). I've tried printing both to an HP laser printer and to my HP Deskjet; neither works. The laser prints a single blank page. In the HP Deskjet print window I see an error message, "'Filter' failed." No idea what that means. I also tried printing to PDF; it fails in the same way, opening my PDF reader with a single blank page. However, EXPORT to PDF works! I was able, therefore, to export my presentation to PDF, and then print it from PDFPen. So the printer is functioning just fine; the problem seems to be with Keynote.

Pages 09-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 4:35 PM

5 replies

Oct 9, 2015 6:28 AM in response to Allen Watson1

I'm still using the GM beta of El Capitan

Using a beta and indeed a first release of a new version of an operating system should be regarded as an experiment for the end user.

It should not be regarded as a fully functioning reliable product. The Mac OS will be continually updated during the lifetime of the release, so there should be no rush to use a new release of an OS.

The golden rules of upgrading the OS:

• if there are no compelling reasons to upgrade, don't. The Mac will still work perfectly well without upgrading
  • create an additional backup of everything on your Mac (preferably a bootable clone of the existing drive)
  • never update while existing projects will be edited
  • never upgrade without fully testing the new OS, using a second drive or a second Mac
  • always perform a clean install when upgrading (the drive is repartitioned to erase all files before installing the OS)
  • use a second bootable drive if you must upgrade mid project
  • if you are unable to do any of the above, do not upgrade

Oct 9, 2015 8:37 AM in response to Gary Scotland

No thanks for what fike a rather condescending reply that does nothing to help resolve my problem. Your post amounts to saying, "Shame on you! You should not complain; you took a needless risk. Here's how you should have done it."

I've been a Mac user since 1987, and earned my living as a computer professional. So I do not need common knowledge advice. I choose to install beta software because I enjoy making a valuable contribution to the development and debugging process. Please do not assume you are talking to a novice.

Oct 9, 2015 10:48 AM in response to Allen Watson1

No thanks for what fike a rather condescending reply

Stating facts is considered condescending from where you are? The golden rules were given to me in 1978 at university by the computing department when using a VAX mainframe, they are as relevant today for Mac as they were then.

that does nothing to help resolve my problem.

Yes sorry, I missed that bit out, re-install Keynote, if that doesn't work re-instal the previous OS or wait for the next set of El Capitan updates that fix these bugs.

Your post amounts to saying, Here's how you should have done it."

Correct, thats exactly what Im saying,

So I do not need common knowledge advice. I choose to install beta software because I enjoy making a valuable contribution to the development and debugging process.

Then you must be prepared to live with any resultant pitfalls, thats the user agreement you made with Apple when signing up for beta software use.

Please do not assume you are talking to a novice.

No-one knows what level of expertise posters have unless they state that in the original post, equally posters are furious when replies use everyday Mac terminology and complain they are beginners and don't want treated as advanced users. The average Mac user who uses Keynote is at school, producing a presentation for a project, has never used Keynote before and has never received appropriate training.

Oct 9, 2015 11:03 AM in response to Gary Scotland

I'll try re-installing Keynote. I'm overdue to install the latest El Cap, I realize that.

The weird part is that--AFAIK--I did not change anything in the system, certainly not either the OS or Keynote, from the time printing worked until it stopped working. I posted here because I was curious if anyone else had encountered the problem. I have no reason to believe the cause is either a bug in Keynote or the OS; it could be a conflilct with something else. Printer drivers? I'm just fishing for relevant input.

Cannot print slides in El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.