Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help verfying the specific cleaning and transfering process will work with iphoto

Alright to start of with an oversight this is a very sensitive issue as my 19 year old sister died in a car accident several weeks ago and one of the most precious things we have is photos and videos. So I feel I have to double check my steps here before I delete most of the content off of iPhoto to free up space on the computer to work on more projects.

I have 6 or 7 external hard drives, some new, some old, but most of the important content is going on to one of two LaCie 3 TB hard drives . A lot of content has been poorly organized in the past and thrown on these devices (with only the Lacie ones being organized properly) which is usually fine aside from the fact that programs like iPhoto can greatly complicate the process.

I don't like iPhoto that much for one main reason and it's how it packages up everything into a separate database that is difficult to work with. I am also learning Lightroom and love it as it runs much more smoothly and doesn't package everything up that way.

On this computer it says there is 492gb of photos which means half the total space is being taken up by these photos. 475gb of the photos are supposedly in iPhoto library. Yet from inside the iPhoto App when nothing is selected under photos tab it says 343GB. So were is that remaining 132gbs?

So far I have

-Exported all selected Events in the library as "original" and had it divide everything up by event name within a folder on the external hard drive.

(creating one folder with a bunch of subfolders)

-Then I created a smart album in iPhoto and singled out all edited photos. Then exported all edited photos using "current" into another folder on the External Hard drive.

-Copied and pasted the trash bin within iphoto to another folder on external hard drive. (these are likely junk or duplicates but with 33,000+ pictures that I can't look through all at once I had to be sure a least one Jpg copy existed of each. I figure that is easier to reference and delete accordingly using finder)

Now I tried to select everything but the last couple of months and delete them off the library but it says it will also delete photos off of Facebook. Now I've never used the integrated iPhoto/Facebook but my mom has and honestly when I saw that I just instantly felt mad and annoyed that was even possible. Maybe it's more common than I had thought but anyways I just want to disconnect that so I can delete the photos without it doing anything to facebook. There should be a button that does this but the only 3 options I have discovered so far is

-Change password and log out of facebook in the browser

-turn off the internet while deleting the photos

-press the minus button under account in preferences.

All of which has me paranoid that it will screw with my moms facebook and delete those photos.

Any help or verification would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 4:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 11:04 PM

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. This cross posts with your other thread and I've answered some of the there.

Remember, if you don't like iPhoto you don't have to use it. It's not required or mandatory in any way.

475gb of the photos are supposedly in iPhoto library. Yet from inside the iPhoto App when nothing is selected under photos tab it says 343GB. So were is that remaining 132gbs?

What the iPhoto Window reports is the nominal size of the resulting folder if you exported everything from iPhoto at the "Current" setting.

The iPhoto Library in the Finder contains your original photos, thumbnails, previews, cache, database and metadata files. it is always larger than reported by the iPhoto Window.

There is nothing abnormal there.

Re: Facebook. iPhoto is a way of managing photos. It manages them on your Mac and on your Facebook and Flickr accounts too. That's the job it does, It's not just an uploader, but a manager. SO it assumes that if you don't want a photo on your Mac then you don't want it anywhere. If you don't want it to manage these photos then don't upload via iPhoto. To avoid it deleting photos, simply log out of Facebook in iPhoto. - your third option.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2015 11:04 PM in response to ferrante9

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. This cross posts with your other thread and I've answered some of the there.

Remember, if you don't like iPhoto you don't have to use it. It's not required or mandatory in any way.

475gb of the photos are supposedly in iPhoto library. Yet from inside the iPhoto App when nothing is selected under photos tab it says 343GB. So were is that remaining 132gbs?

What the iPhoto Window reports is the nominal size of the resulting folder if you exported everything from iPhoto at the "Current" setting.

The iPhoto Library in the Finder contains your original photos, thumbnails, previews, cache, database and metadata files. it is always larger than reported by the iPhoto Window.

There is nothing abnormal there.

Re: Facebook. iPhoto is a way of managing photos. It manages them on your Mac and on your Facebook and Flickr accounts too. That's the job it does, It's not just an uploader, but a manager. SO it assumes that if you don't want a photo on your Mac then you don't want it anywhere. If you don't want it to manage these photos then don't upload via iPhoto. To avoid it deleting photos, simply log out of Facebook in iPhoto. - your third option.

Oct 9, 2015 12:16 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you again for this post and the other. So I think I may have figured out that I can simply export as I have already and be safe to delete all the content from iPhoto and simply leave it as a place for my father to tinker with if he's too stubborn to figure out light room. The other things I mentioned in the other post I can likely figure out solutions to over time by simply asking the right questions when they come to mind. If you have any suggestions or advice for those you can leave it on that other question. I will close this one as I think you pretty much gave me a clear enough solution and reassurance in what I was wondering.

Need help verfying the specific cleaning and transfering process will work with iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.