Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi usage iphone/ipad whilst idle

My Home WIFI has peak and off peak times and a monthly quota. Off peak is from 2am to 8am.

I live in an ADSL1 area with slow access.

Until recently, say last two months, I had no difficulty keeping within my peak hour quota. Now I struggle and end up shaped for a day or so.

I have restricted my software and app updates to off peak , a great saving.

I switch off the iMac, Apple TV and 2 x PCs at end of day.

I use an iPhone 4S and iPad Air that have the latest iOS software.

I charge these devices overnight. They are reluctant to stay switched off whilst charging.

I plug them in to charger before switching off. By morning sometimes they are still off but mostly they have switched on again.

When the iPhone & iPad stay switched off, my usage is zero. so I know it's them but I do need to charge them.

Wifi data is being used in peak time when the devices are idle when I have retired to bed, say from 9pm onwards.

What is using this Wifi?

I have tried switching off background activities, diagnostic & usage stats and the like.

What am I missing?

As I write this, I am thinking that perhaps using airplane mode is the way to go.

Also could it be iCloud sync?

Words of wisdom would be received with much gratitude.

iPhone 4S, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 4:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 1:25 PM

Don't worry, it's completely normal. Every iOS device stays on while being charged.

Wi-Fi usage and iCloud sync are also normal things that your phone and tablet do while they are plugged in and connected to a Wi-Fi network.

You could solve that by simply switching off Wi-Fi networking in the Settings app or in the Control Center.

I hope I helped you. Good luck! 🙂

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2015 1:25 PM in response to JemimaP

Don't worry, it's completely normal. Every iOS device stays on while being charged.

Wi-Fi usage and iCloud sync are also normal things that your phone and tablet do while they are plugged in and connected to a Wi-Fi network.

You could solve that by simply switching off Wi-Fi networking in the Settings app or in the Control Center.

I hope I helped you. Good luck! 🙂

Oct 9, 2015 1:33 PM in response to fernando123Apple

I understand your reasoning to switch off Wifi but then I would be using my 3G data that I prefer to reserve for when I am out and about.

Plain switch off it is and recharge some other time. Else use airplane mode.

Just wish I knew what was uploading in the night. It doesn't happen most other times.

I am in Australia so my night would be business hours in USA.

wifi usage iphone/ipad whilst idle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.