Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flashing question mark & won't turn on

I have a 2013 Macbook Pro, and for some reason today it won't turn on. My screen froze on log in so I shut it down to restart. When it came back, it was a white screen with a flashing file icon with a question mark in it. I've tried to restart multiple times but there's nothing I can seem to do to get passed this screen. Anyone know of anything that might help? Thank you!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 6:01 PM

1 reply

Oct 8, 2015 7:40 PM in response to jnd26

That sounds like you have a problem with your hard drive or the operating system.

Restart your Mac. Hold down the option key as soon as you turn it on. This will show you the drives with an operating system that you can use to boot up. Select the recovery disk. Use Disk Utility to check your Mac's hard drive. If it doesn't see your hard drive or can't repair it, you will need to visit the Apple store to have a Genius check it. There is no charge.

Howard

Flashing question mark & won't turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.