Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I remove Megabackup program

Last night I was trying to stream the MLB National Wild Card Game. I was at a hotel whose satellite TV system sucked. Somehow, while figuring out how to stream the game on my laptop I downloaded a program called MegBackup and can't seem to remove it.

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2015 6:25 AM

"MegaBackup" is either an untrustworthy cloud-storage application or perhaps actual malware. I haven't tried to make that distinction.

To remove it, start by backing up all data (not with MegaBackup itself, of course.)

1. Quit the MegaBackup application, if it's running, and drag it from the Applications folder to the Trash. Don't try to empty yet.

2. Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/LaunchAgents

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Open

from the contextual menu.* A folder named "LaunchAgents" should open.

In the folder, there may be one or more files with a name beginning as follows:

com.WebTools

Move all such files to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator password.

3. This step is optional. Do as in Step 2 with this line:

~/Library/Application Support

You're opening a folder named "Application Support". Inside it, there may be a subfolder named "WebTools". Move that subfolder only to the Trash.

4. Log out or restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2015 6:25 AM in response to rickwetzel

"MegaBackup" is either an untrustworthy cloud-storage application or perhaps actual malware. I haven't tried to make that distinction.

To remove it, start by backing up all data (not with MegaBackup itself, of course.)

1. Quit the MegaBackup application, if it's running, and drag it from the Applications folder to the Trash. Don't try to empty yet.

2. Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/LaunchAgents

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Open

from the contextual menu.* A folder named "LaunchAgents" should open.

In the folder, there may be one or more files with a name beginning as follows:

com.WebTools

Move all such files to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator password.

3. This step is optional. Do as in Step 2 with this line:

~/Library/Application Support

You're opening a folder named "Application Support". Inside it, there may be a subfolder named "WebTools". Move that subfolder only to the Trash.

4. Log out or restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

How can I remove Megabackup program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.