Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture

I believe that many people seeking the proper method for formatting an external drive for use with both Mac a Windows might be a bit apprehensive over the title of this Help article. Why are you so specific that this procedure applies to Aperture? I use external HDs to store all of my images and documents. My iMac 24 HD holds only my applications and system files. I use CCC Carbon Copy Cloner to backup these external drives with like capacity drives (4TB) therefore I'm introducing new external drives about every other year. I don't want the HD manufacturer's software programs backing up my data so I want these new drives wiped clean for starters. Are these instructions found in the Help article (the topic of my question) unique to Aperture or will they work for what I need?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 8:13 PM

What "help article" might you be referring to?

And, NO, there's nothing unique to formatting a drive for Aperture.

3 replies

Oct 8, 2015 8:08 PM in response to Rysz

The "help article" I'm referring to is the subject of my question, "Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture" The title of this help article suggests that formatting external drives to Mac OS Extended is for Aperture, PERIOD. By adding the words "before using with Aperture" raises a question for us who are not fully acquainted with the Mac. Your reply seems short and lacking understanding that those of us who are 80 years of age might not be fully knowledgeable of things Apple. With all my dealings with Apple tech support I find everyone helpful and cordial.

Oct 8, 2015 8:29 PM in response to Dikjenkins

Your original post did not specify the article or where you found it (in a web magazine?). All I asked was what specific article and gave you the answer. You find that rude?

For future reference, if you are referring to a Knowledge Base article, they have reference numbers. You can also just provide the web address or link.

Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.