Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fell for a pop-up alert scam. Now what?

Short story, I fell for a scam, and now I'm not sure what to do. The thing I'm worried about is 1) if they downloaded anything bad on my computer 2) if they can use my information to take more money from me.

Full story: I was browsing Safari when I got this pop-up

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Being the inexperienced gullible human I was, I called the number. The guy on the other line had me download www.logmein123.com which gave him remote control of my computer. He tinkered around and pulled up a diagnostic report and explained that my computer has a lot of junk in the system from ads downloading stuff (he showed me that I had hundreds of "sleeping" threads, I wasn't sure what any of this meant) , that my Firewall was completely damaged (it appeared to me that it was just turned off, I didn't see anything about it being damaged) and that it has a Koobface virus attached to my IP address. He then directed me to an online tech company. They proceeded to spend about an hour "fixing" my computer. I walked away and did not watch most of what they did. They then called me and had me register with them (provide my banking info, full name, email address and phone number) and charged me $250. My computer now seems to have ABP and AdBlock installed and a few things downloaded as well, and they said I have a 1 year plan with them.

User uploaded file User uploaded file

I can't tell if the ABP is legit or not but I looked up the original virus alert and learned that it is a scam.

So I wasted $250. My question is, what safety measures can I take to fix this and prevent further problems? I realize I'm not getting my money back.

MacBook Pro, iOS 9, null

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 8:01 PM

5 replies

Oct 8, 2015 9:49 PM in response to marianna.chesnokov

The thing I'm worried about is 1) if they downloaded anything bad on my computer 2) if they can use my information to take more money from me.

Yes to both questions. Read Phony "tech support" / "ransomware" popups and web pages.

You may be the victim of a crime, perhaps a felony offense, but for all you or anyone knows the criminals may be well beyond the reach of your jurisdiction's law enforcement resources.

Your actions at this point can range from doing nothing at all, to erasing the Mac and reconfiguring it. Separately, it would be prudent to assume the intruder has gained sufficient information from it to effectively commit identity theft. Computer tampering and identity theft are legal matters that go well beyond the scope of this support site, and for which you should seek appropriate legal counsel. Therefore I can only offer technical guidance regarding your Mac itself, which may be considered evidence in a criminal proceeding that only you can decide to take upon receiving that counsel.

It's very likely that these scam artists are looking for nothing more than a quick buck, which they got, but it would be irresponsible for me or anyone to tell you there is nothing else to worry about. Without an in-depth, hands-on inspection of your Mac, the absence of some nefarious exploit cannot possibly be confirmed by anyone or anything. Even an exhaustive personal inspection by uniquely qualified experts would leave an element of doubt. For those reasons, at a minimum it should be immediately disconnected from the Internet (unplug its Ethernet cable and turn Wi-Fi "off") after which you can decide whether to preserve it in its present condition as evidence, or its contents completely erased, permanently removing that evidence. Decide how you want to proceed and write back.

.... what safety measures can I take to fix this and prevent further problems?

There is nothing you can do to prevent the appearance of phony popups, any more than you can prevent some uninvited stranger from knocking on your door or calling your phone, trying to sell you some garbage you do not want or need. Same scam, new era.

I realize I'm not getting my money back.

Actually, you might. You should report this event to your credit card company (assuming that's how you paid). Credit card companies have no tolerance for fraud.

For additional actions to consider, read the following:

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0346-tech-support-scams

and

http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Oct 9, 2015 6:50 AM in response to marianna.chesnokov

You should erase and reformat your hard drive, then restore your computer from a backup made prior to when you allowed them access. Change your passwords and other critical information also. You don't know what software might have been installed. If you paid them by credit card, contact the credit card company, and close out the credit card.

Fell for a pop-up alert scam. Now what?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.