Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can no longer search for installed apps on ios9

before the ios 9 update, I could search for an app on my phone. I would swipe down, type in what I was looking for and the icon would show up and I was happy. Now the search brings up like 4 icons (none of them I ever search for) and when I type anything in the search box nothing happens. it doesn't even look like its trying to search. does anyone have any ideas what is going on?

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 7:09 PM

5 replies

Oct 8, 2015 7:14 PM in response to elbow667

It starts out with Siri app suggestions based on past usage. You start typing into the search bar, it should still look for your apps, in the listing titled Top Hits. Then there are other responses, depending on what it is that you typed. It could be a web hit, something from the app store, but if you have an app that has what you typed in the search bar, and if necessary you can tap on the Search button in the lower right corner of the screen.

Oct 8, 2015 9:47 PM in response to elbow667

It still works, you just need to troubleshoot your phone. First two steps of user troubleshooting are to power the phone off and then back on. If that does not correct it, then try a force restart. Hold the sleep/wake and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo and then release. After the phone reboots, check again. Have you tried the search you get when you swipe the screen all the way to the left? If you go to Settings>General>Spotlight Search, are the apps all checked there?

Oct 9, 2015 4:34 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

yes, i have tried your suggestions. after some research I found that this is a very popular problem reported by other discussions in here and on other websites. I dont think I am going to troubleshoot it any longer since every suggestion has failed and there doesn't seem to be a consensus on what exactly is causing the problem or how to really fix it. i think its a bug in the ios for iphone 5. I will just have to live without the feature until Apple acknowledges that there is a problem and fixes it.

thanks for trying to help.

Oct 24, 2015 6:51 PM in response to elbow667

Just so this wont be a dead end I thought I would share my fix for this. After exhausting all other resources and trying everything I could possibly think off to fix this, I had to go to settings->general->reset->Erase All Content and Settings. after re-setting up my phone, all was working again. Actually, it seems to be working better than ever, I'm even getting longer battery life. I know for some of you this would be a really drastic step, but in my case I didnt really lose much other than an hour or so of my time so all is fixed on 9

thanks,

I can no longer search for installed apps on ios9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.