Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot upgrade from 10.6.8 to El Capitan even though it seems I meet all requirements

I checked all the requirements and I meet the memory needed and everything, but when I try to update it says my computer cannot from App Store.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 6:45 PM

12 replies

Oct 9, 2015 8:00 AM in response to Torqueeclipse

Check that your computer is compatible with Mountain Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite/El Capitan.

To check the model number hold down the option/alt key, go to the Apple menu and select System Information.

MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) model number 5,1 or higher

MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher

Your Mac needs:

• OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed
  • 2 GB or more of memory (More is better - 4 GB minimum seems to be the consensus)
  • 8 GB or more of available space

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported after 10.6.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

Do a backup before installing, preferable 2 backups on 2 different drives.

Oct 11, 2015 4:03 PM in response to Torqueeclipse

Please supply more information about your computer's processor type and memory types and amounts, and how much free memory you have left on your hard drive. Depending on the hardware and memory you have, as well as how much free memory is still available, and the age of your computer, you may or may not be able to update it. Also, sometimes, you have to do the updates in increments. For example, you might not be able to make the jump from 10.6.8 to El Capitan. Sems odd you didn't do any of the earlier updates along the way.

I have a Mac Mini that has a 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo hard drive, and 2.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory and it can't be updated to anything past 10.6.8, despite several people saying it can be. If I did update it, I wouldn't be able to run Quicken for Mac 2006 anymore. Seeing as this is the main reason I still use this Mini, I'm stuck with the old OSX but it runs beautifully. However, I'm now considering getting another hard drive and Mini to back up all the Quicken on to, so I have another working copy of it, for when or if this one every dies, which likely it will one day. Then I'll get a new Mini and run everything else on that.

Oct 15, 2015 2:52 PM in response to schoodle

schoodle wrote:

I have a Mac Mini that has a 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo hard drive, and 2.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory and it can't be updated to anything past 10.6.8, despite several people saying it can be. If I did update it, I wouldn't be able to run Quicken for Mac 2006 anymore. Seeing as this is the main reason I still use this Mini, I'm stuck with the old OSX but it runs beautifully. However, I'm now considering getting another hard drive and Mini to back up all the Quicken on to, so I have another working copy of it, for when or if this one every dies, which likely it will one day. Then I'll get a new Mini and run everything else on that.

Quicken 2007 for Intel (available from Inuit for $15) will run on El Capitan and will work with your Q2006 data directly.

If you do upgrade, I suggest you either partition your hard drive or add an external hard drive and install El Capitan there and use "dual boot" so that you can continue to access Snow Leopard as needed.

Nov 2, 2015 8:26 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

Thanks MlchaelLAX,

I tried Quicken 2007, back in 2007, and hated it. Returned it after a week. It didn't have all the functionality of Q2006.

I have two backup HDs, but neither of them have an OS on them to use as bootable discs, they are just backup storage.

I will be doing some upgrading in the near future. Just haven't made up my mind yet exactly what I want to do yet. That and my money seems to be going many other necessary places all too often.

Nov 3, 2015 9:26 AM in response to schoodle

schoodle wrote:

I tried Quicken 2007, back in 2007, and hated it. Returned it after a week. It didn't have all the functionality of Q2006.

The only scenario that I can image fits this statement is that you used an early "beta" version of Quicken 2007 for Mac.

I am unaware of any major function contained in Quicken 2006 for Mac that is not now contained in the latest version of Quicken 2007 for Mac (Intel) that sells for $15.

I have both Quicken 2006 and 2007: can you list some features in 2006 that are missing in 2007 for me, please.

I cannot upgrade from 10.6.8 to El Capitan even though it seems I meet all requirements

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.