Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I roll back updated apps? iOS?

can i roll back apps to a previous version if i dont care for the new one? what about my ios? 9.0.2 is terrible, keeps crashing lagging and closing!

apple ipad mini 2 iOS 9.0.2

iPad Mini, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 7:39 PM

You cannot downgrade iOS. Apple does not support that.

Once you have updated an app, there is not a method to get the old one back, since it would update both on the device and in iTunes.

11 replies

Oct 8, 2015 7:47 PM in response to kateamonsta

You can revert to older versions of apps if you still have them on your PC/Mac. Speaking on the Mac side of things, when apps are updated in iTunes, the old version gets put into the "trash" when the updated version replaces it. The stipulation is that the older version needs/needed to exist on the Mac/PC in iTunes for it to get "trashed". If you don't empty your trash frequently, it may still be there. To use it again on your device, move it out of the trash to somewhere like an "archive" folder that you create. Next, go back into iTunes and delete the newer version that was installed there. Drag the older version from the archive back into iTunes, then connect your device and sync the app back over.

I do this all the time and keep older versions of apps at my disposal since many "updated" apps are worse than what they replace.

As far as reverting to an older iOS version, no. Apple doesn't allow it.

Oct 8, 2015 8:01 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

I suppose that you could replace that file and restore the phone.

A restore is not required.

1. Delete the "new" app from the device (you will lose your saved data for the app)

2. Delete the "new" app from iTunes.

3. Drag the trashed "old" app back to iTunes

4. Connect the device to iTunes

5. Select the device, then select Apps

6. Select the "old" app to install to the device and click the "Install" button which will change to "Will Install"

7. Sync the device 🙂

EDIT: I forgot to add that the apps themselves are suffixed with an .ipsw (iPod software). You'll need to identify the app's name on your own.

Oct 10, 2015 11:13 AM in response to kateamonsta

when it comes to apple products I have no knowledge what so eve, well a bit. That being said, I have never used iTunes for anything, but I think it mught be installed on my pc running Vista. Can I use this install, or better yet, will my info even be on iTunes or only in iCloud being that I backed up with my iTunes account? I know how clouds work I am just not sure everywhere my backed up data is carted off to. Dropbox? iCloud? Creative Cloud? I think I gave myself a HUGE headache by installling too many apps that back up to different clouds, servers?

Oct 15, 2015 4:15 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

ok, like i said, I'm new to this iTunes stuff, if inwere to back up my iPad mini 2 to iTunes, is it only saved on my pc or is there a cloud or server back up as well? also can iTunes back ups be done wirelessly or must I connect via usb? also, instead of answering all my mundane questions is there somewhere where I can find a tutorial or FAQ's? thanks again

Oct 15, 2015 7:57 AM in response to kateamonsta

kateamonsta wrote:

ok, like i said, I'm new to this iTunes stuff, if inwere to back up my iPad mini 2 to iTunes, is it only saved on my pc or is there a cloud or server back up as well? also can iTunes back ups be done wirelessly or must I connect via usb? also, instead of answering all my mundane questions is there somewhere where I can find a tutorial or FAQ's? thanks again

As far as being backed up to the computer and/or cloud, that is up to you and how you have it configured. If you have it configured in iTunes to backup to the computer, that is where the backup is. You connect the device and backup and sync. If you want a cloud backup, then you need to configure to backup to the cloud. You can configure that on the phone, and it will do it automatically when you connect the phone to power and lock the screen. Generally what you do overnight when you go to bed. I'll attach a couple of support documents that discuss backups, but you ask about FAQ, there are support document available when you click on the Support link from the Apple page. You can search for most anything.

iCloud: iCloud storage and backup overview

About backups in iCloud and iTunes - Apple Support

How to back up your devices using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

can I roll back updated apps? iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.