Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System 7 "Welcome to Macintosh" female voice at start up

HI everyone! I was reamembering today that in the 90s at a friends house once I've heard at the System 7 "Welcome to Macintosh" with a female voice at start up.

I have never had the chance to make that work on my Mac. Just the welcome to macintosh sign and the startup sound, but never the female voice saying "welcome to Macintosh" any ideas if that is a special setup or a spe softwhere to make it work?

Thanks in advance!

Carlos

Macintosh SE

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 7:37 PM

2 replies

Oct 11, 2015 10:25 AM in response to Carloselvis

Hi Carlos,

A special sound early in the startup sequence would probably require advanced modifications (someone else here may know more about this). However, a somewhat "delayed" version would be an automatic greeting as soon as the full Desktop is shown. Just as an example, on a System 7.5.3 computer such as a PowerBook 540, one could do this the following way: Open the Sound control panel. Click Add under Alert Sounds. Record a welcome sound. Save the sound (it will be saved in the System suitcase inside the System Folder). Open the System suitcase and drag the sound file in question out (onto the Desktop). Close the System suitcase. Move the sound file to the Startup Items folder (in the System Folder). Close all folders. Restart.

System 7 "Welcome to Macintosh" female voice at start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.