Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

21.5 inch Screen Still Flickering with El Capitan

I just installed El Capitan on a fresh new 1TB Hard drive SSDHD and it is still flickering and sometimes goes black. I push the power button with out shutting it down, and it will comeback. The old hard drive completely died, I so I thought I'd go ahead and update it to the most current version. Is there a fix? There is a lot of info on this issue, you'd think they would have fixed it on this version. Ive read about the Command-option-P-R. to reset the NVRAM / PRAM and I'm going to test this again but I am not optimistic.

Any help please let me know

Thanks!

OS ElCapitan

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010)

8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac11,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i3

Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B02

SMC Version (system): 1.64f5

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11), ATI Radeon HD 4670 256

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 8:14 PM

3 replies

Oct 8, 2015 8:40 PM in response to JeffreyAD

What do you mean still flickering? If it was flickering on the version of OS X that you upgraded from then upgrading was a critical mistake. NEVER EVER upgrade to fix a problem, only update or upgrade when the computer is working okay. What you have done (if I am correct) is made whatever is causing your problem much more difficult to diagnose. Take your machine to an Apple Store or AASP to be professionally diagnosed.

Oct 8, 2015 9:29 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I'm not a total noob.😉.It was flickering before I upgraded albeit thats not why I went to El Capitan. Again, the only reason was because the system was dead and had to reinstall the OS anyways. And there was talk that it would be fixed in 10.11. It doesn't flicker all the time, it just depends. I can fix just about anything myself, I hate paying for someone to do it unless there is no other option.

Do you have any suggestions other than just taking it to an AASP?

Thanks for the response.

21.5 inch Screen Still Flickering with El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.