Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have lost my iPhoto app after a reinstalling the disk

I had to reinstall the operating system or reformat it after it stopped working one day all of a sudden. Im using OS X Mavericks 10.9.5. Afterwards I had to download many apps all over again which I easily found on app store and elsewhere. But I have not been able to find iPhoto ( i don't know which version it was that I was storing my photos on). Im totally lost as to how to get all my photos back. Can anyone help please?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 11:52 PM

25 replies

Oct 9, 2015 11:45 AM in response to Yer_Man

I've also got a similar problem. I reinstalled Lion after using Mavericks for some time (during which time I updated my iLife suite). I was able to reinstall iMovie because the old version was placed in its own subdirectory within 'Applications' when I updated, but the same thing didn't happen with iPhoto. When I go to my 'Purchases' page on the App Store and try to reinstall the original version of iPhoto, I get a dialog telling me that I need to have Mac OS X 10.10 installed to download iPhoto. Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

Oct 9, 2015 3:41 PM in response to yaggaman

Success! (Am posting here in case anybody else has the same problem.) I was able to download a compatible version of iPhoto from the App Store by manually altering the version of OS X from 10.7.5 to 10.10.5. Here's how (it involves some tinkering with Terminal, so if you're not confident with this, then don't continue):

1. Load Terminal.

2. Type: 'sudo cp /system/library/coreservices/systemversion.plist ~/.' (This will copy the file you're about to edit to your home directory, as a backup.)

3. Type: 'sudo chmod a+w /system/library/coreservices/systemversion.plist' (The file is initially read-only for all users [r-r-r-], so this adds write permission for all users [rwrwrw].)

4. Type: 'sudo nano /system/library/coreservices/systemversion.plist'

5. Edit the version number under 'ProductUserVisibleVersion' and 'ProductVersion' from (in my case) 10.7.5 to 10.10.5.

6. Close and save the file.

7. Go to App Store and try downloading your previous purchase of iPhoto. You will see some warnings, but you should be able to download the latest compatible version of the software.

8. To clean up what you've done, go back to Terminal and type 'sudo nano /system/library/coreservices/systemversion.plist'

9. Edit the version number under 'ProductUserVisibleVersion' and 'ProductVersion' back from 10.10.5 to what it was earlier (if necessary, you can look in the file you backed up (~/systemversion.plist) to remind yourself of the original version).

10. Close and save the file.

11. Type 'sudo chmod a-w /system/library/coreservices/systemversion.plist' (This returns the file to its original read-only permissions [i.e. rwrwrw to r-r-r-].)

12. (Only once you're certain that it's safe to do so) delete the file you backed up by typing 'sudo rm ~/systemversion.plist'.

Now the fun begins with copying your iPhoto '11 library to iPhoto 9. (You can drag the 'Masters' folder from this library into iPhoto 9 to import the raw images, but no other metadata or events.)

Oct 10, 2015 12:47 AM in response to yaggaman

Now the fun begins with copying your iPhoto '11 library to iPhoto 9. (You can drag the 'Masters' folder from this library into iPhoto 9 to import the raw images, but no other metadata or events.)

Well you're not copying your iPhoto 11 library to iPhoto 9, are you? You're making a new library and importing the original photos. You lose all the work you have previously done, it's like you never used iPhoto before. You might have a better time, and suffer less data loss - trying to downgrade the Library with iPhoto Library Manager

I'm curious: what version of iPhoto downloaded from the App Store? I note you refer to iPhoto 11 and iPhoto 9, which are the same thing. iPhoto 09 was the earlier version.

Dec 17, 2015 10:36 PM in response to yaggaman

Thank you Yaggaman. I still need help. Is there a simply way to find my photos? I lost I Photo app after I reinstalled my disk. All my photos are there...and the help you have offered , I have found all those steps too complicated to follow. Will I ever be able to find my photos or they are gone forever ? Thanks so much again.

Dec 18, 2015 12:39 AM in response to sabinaHM

sabinaHM

There are 9 different versions of iPhoto and they run on 10 different versions of the Operating System. The tricks and tips for dealing with issues vary depending on the version of iPhoto and the version of the OS. So to get help you need to give as much information as you can. Include things like:

- What version of iPhoto.

- What version of the Operating System.

- Details. As full a description of the problem as you can. For example, if you have a problem with exporting, then explain by describing how you are trying to export, and so on.

- History: Is this going on long? Has anything been installed or deleted? - Are there error messages?

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue.

- Anything unusual about your set up? Or how you use iPhoto?

Anything else you can think of that might help someone understand the problem you have.

Dec 17, 2015 11:01 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you!

The Mac I'm using is OSX 10.9.5.

I don't know which version of i Photo I was using when I lost it.

I had put my photos on a i Photo app during 2014- 2015. Some three months ago , I had to reinstall my disk. After that, I had to download all the apps that I was using, which I had lost due to reinstallation. When I needed i Photo and I went to the App Store (Online) I could not find i Photo. All I could understand was that in place of i Photo , now they are giving Photo. I could not find out how to download that one. I signed into my icloud account and found Photos there though. But that did not give me my history, all the data that I had put there during the last year.

Then I googled again and ended up downloading iPhoto 9.4.2. The internet speed in my country is so slow. It took ages for it to download. And then I find out that this is an update and would only work if I have the original i photo app. So it was an update that I had downloaded.

After that I have been writing on the Apple Communities for help. I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Dec 18, 2015 12:25 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you! I signed in to App Store and discovered i Photo on my purchases list. I'm installing it now. It will take about an hour given the net speed. I hope I will find my data back . Im so glad, I have really suffered all these months. Thank you for all the help.

I wish I knew of another way to save my photos and do not have to place them on i Photo again. But its about 3000 photos and is there another , online solution that you know of, that is easier to use, easier than Apple, where I could store photos and could go back to them when I wanted? I hope Im not bothering you too much with this question now.

Would you also recommend as to how to manage the photos volume that the smart phones have introduced? Its to say, since I began using a smart phone, which was only in 2014, I have all the time so many photos, that my phone storage is always choked. Would you say, take less photos, or any thing else? Im so over whelmed with all this data that I am now feeling compelled to save somewhere all the time.

Im not a professional photographer or in any profession related to photography.

Thank you so much in advance.

Dec 18, 2015 5:48 AM in response to sabinaHM

There's a lot of question in that, and no short answers. Here goes:

Anything you put into iPhoto can be got out again, and easily. File -> Export will export your photo(s) for you.

You don't have to use iPhoto - or any other app - you can just use folders in the Finder if you want to. But, and this is important, if you take a few minutes to learn how to use these apps then you'll have a much easier task in managing your photos.

If you upgrade your OS to 10.10 or 10.11 (which are free) you willet the successor to iPhoto, a new app called Photos. This has an online element which, again, will simplify the task of managing your photos across devices.

Photosharing websites like Flickr are free and also provide online storage and access.

Alarming though it may sound, these days 3,000 is a tiny amount. I kid you not when I say our collection is 20 times that, and will keep growing. Your will too.

I have lost my iPhoto app after a reinstalling the disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.