Related Article: How to reset your AirPort base station

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is ethernet connection needed to reconfigure an 802.11n?

I can't find my password and want a shorter network name, so need to reset my 802.11n to factory settings and then start again. While doing this is it necessary to connect the AEBS to the iMac via an ethernet cable, or can this be done while wirelessly connected to the computer? The green light on the AEBS is on at the moment.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 11:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 12:18 AM

Wireless will work if that is the connection that you normally use.

To reset the AEBS back to factory default settings........

Log on to your wireless network as normal

On your Mac, open Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the picture of the AEBS and then click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Or, if you are using an older version of AirPort Utility, once you click on the AEBS, click Manual Setup

Click the Base Station menu at the top of the screen up were you see the Apple icon, File menu, Edit menu, Help menu etc.

Click Restore Default Settings

That will reset the AEBS back to its original factory default settings so that you can set it up again

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2015 12:18 AM in response to peterpatter

Wireless will work if that is the connection that you normally use.

To reset the AEBS back to factory default settings........

Log on to your wireless network as normal

On your Mac, open Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the picture of the AEBS and then click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Or, if you are using an older version of AirPort Utility, once you click on the AEBS, click Manual Setup

Click the Base Station menu at the top of the screen up were you see the Apple icon, File menu, Edit menu, Help menu etc.

Click Restore Default Settings

That will reset the AEBS back to its original factory default settings so that you can set it up again

User uploaded file

Oct 9, 2015 2:09 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Many thanks Bob,

However, AirPort Utility does not even indicate the AEBS (see attachment below). Manual Setup and Continue are greyed out. I've now found a CD that came with the AEBS and it says: press the reset button etc. with the tip of a ball pen for a hard reset or a factory reset. If I do this, will I need the AEBS connected to the iMac with an ethernet cable, or can it remain wirelessly connected? This is a big concern.

Incidentally, from the wireless icon at the top right of the screen I can select a second network, but it requires a password to open it. That's one of the reasons that I need to establish new names and passwords.

User uploaded file

Is ethernet connection needed to reconfigure an 802.11n?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.