Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1. If I connect device (via ethernet to LAN port on AirPort Extreme as router), I get 300 mps. 2. Now, I set up roaming network by connecting (via ethernet) AirPort Express (WAN port) to AirPort Extreme (primary router - LAN port). 3. Now, inst

Slower speed when connecting into LAN port on AirPort Express as roaming network device:

1. If I connect device (via ethernet to LAN port on AirPort Extreme (latest generation) as primary router), I get 300+ mps. So far, so good.

2. Next, I set up roaming network by connecting (via ethernet) AirPort Express (latest generation) (WAN port) to AirPort Extreme (as primary router - LAN port).

3. Next, instead of connecting device (via ethernet) to LAN port on AirPort Extreme (primary router), I plug (via ethernet) device directly into LAN port on AirPort Express.

Because connection is hard-wired (AirPort Extreme -- ethernet cable -- AirPort Express -- ethernet cable -- device), I expect to get speeds comparable to when I connected directly to AirPort Extreme as primary router as described under #1 (i.e, perhaps 300+ mps or something close. Problem is, I don't. Instead, I get a speed comparable to what I would if I unplug and rely entirely on Wi-Fi.

Why is this? Shouldn't a hard-wired connection be faster? Why does the LAN port on the AirPort Express (roaming network) fail me, when the LAN port on the AirPort Extreme (primary router) works beautifully? I'm confused.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you!

AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd generation), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 10:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 10:15 AM

Because connection is hard-wired (AirPort Extreme -- ethernet cable -- AirPort Express -- ethernet cable -- device), I expect to get speeds comparable to when I connected directly to AirPort Extreme as primary router as described under #1 (i.e, perhaps 300+ mps or something close. Problem is, I don't.

And, that would be because the AirPort Express Ethernet ports are rated at 100 Mbps, so the maximum speed that you will ever attain while the AirPort Express is connected using Ethernet, or a device is connected to the AirPort Express using Ethernet would be 100 Mbps.

To verify, see the specifications for the AirPort Express here.......http://www.apple.com/airport-express/specs/......and check the listing under Interfaces.

The AirPort Extreme uses 1,000 Mbps ports, also known as Gigabit Ethernet, so if you want faster speeds, you will need to replace the AirPort Express with an AirPort Extreme.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2015 10:15 AM in response to azuki01

Because connection is hard-wired (AirPort Extreme -- ethernet cable -- AirPort Express -- ethernet cable -- device), I expect to get speeds comparable to when I connected directly to AirPort Extreme as primary router as described under #1 (i.e, perhaps 300+ mps or something close. Problem is, I don't.

And, that would be because the AirPort Express Ethernet ports are rated at 100 Mbps, so the maximum speed that you will ever attain while the AirPort Express is connected using Ethernet, or a device is connected to the AirPort Express using Ethernet would be 100 Mbps.

To verify, see the specifications for the AirPort Express here.......http://www.apple.com/airport-express/specs/......and check the listing under Interfaces.

The AirPort Extreme uses 1,000 Mbps ports, also known as Gigabit Ethernet, so if you want faster speeds, you will need to replace the AirPort Express with an AirPort Extreme.

1. If I connect device (via ethernet to LAN port on AirPort Extreme as router), I get 300 mps. 2. Now, I set up roaming network by connecting (via ethernet) AirPort Express (WAN port) to AirPort Extreme (primary router - LAN port). 3. Now, inst

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.