Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud notes only syncing in WiFi, not in Cellular

Hello,

i got a strange issue with my iPhone 5 with iOS9 (9.0.2, but previous 9.x version same problem).

My iCloud notes are only synced with my iPhone when connected to a WiFi network. There is no way to get it sync over cellular network (3G, Vodafone Germany).

Cell coverage is good, all other things (browsing, mails, facebook, twitter) are working fine.

If i disable "Notes" sync in the settings app and delete all notes from my device and re-enable Notes nothing will get synced over cellular (only the folder "iCloud" will be created). If i connect to a WiFi network it just takes seconds to get all my iCloud Notes back to my phone.

Some more information i can provide:

- I only have 3 notes (WiFi Passcodes, Shopping Lists...). No big data!

- I don't use the Apple Mail App for syncing my mails (i use mymail instead). So mail sync is disabled in my icloud profile

- It was working fine with iOS 8

Any ideas?

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 10:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 1:56 AM

Have you checked Settings > Mobile data (might be called cellular data on some devices) > Use mobile data for ... to see if nots is checked or not.

15 replies

Oct 9, 2015 2:21 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Connected to WiFi

Test 1: Change existing note on icloud.com.

Result: Changes are pushed to iPhone in seconds

Test 2: Create new note on icloud.com.

Result: Changes are pushed to iPhone in seconds

Test 3: Change existing note on iPhone

Result: Changes are pushed to icloud.com in seconds

Test 4: Create new note on iPhone

Result: Changes are pushed to icloud.com in seconds

Connected to Cellular only (3G, fast connection [~10Mb/s Downstream, 3,5Mb/s Upstream])

Test 1: Change existing note on icloud.com.

Result: Changes are not pushed to iPhone (waited 60sec)

Test 2: Create new note on icloud.com.

Result: Changes are not pushed to iPhone (waited 60sec)

After Test 1 & 2 i enabled WiFi again and the changes where pushed within seconds

Test 3: Change existing note on iPhone

Result: Changes are not pushed to iCloud (waited 60sec)

Test 4: Create new note on iPhone

Result: Changes are not pushed to iCloud (waited 60sec)

And again, after enabling WiFi, all changes were pushed within seconds

Oct 9, 2015 2:42 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Sounds the same. It's hard to search the internet, because you get many pages regarding thaht Notes in iOS9 will not be sync with Mac Yosemite.

Regarding your link:

It was working fine with iOS8. I write my shopping list for the grocery store on iCloud at home/work and at the store just get the list on my phone.

Since iOS9 this won't work anymore (or i have to sync Notes over wifi before leaving home/work)

iCloud notes only syncing in WiFi, not in Cellular

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.