Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partition lost after Boot Camp assistant crashed

Hello,

I just ran the Boot Camp assistant on my 13" MacBook Pro Retina 2015 and told him to install Windows 8 from an .ISO file. I set it up so that my 120 GB SSD should be partitioned to a 90 GB partition for the existing OS X 10.11 and install Windows on a newly created 32 GB partition.

During the partitioning the MacBook crashed and rebooted. Now I have a 80 GB partition left, on which OS X is installed and the remaining 40 GB vanished. They are not shown in the Disk Utility and I can't create any new partitions on the 120 GB SSD in the Disk Utility.

Is there any way to restore the OS X partition to the full 120 GB or rescue the missing 40 GB and install Windows on it WITHOUT having to reinstall OS X again?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Tokyo

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 3:24 AM

3 replies

Oct 9, 2015 10:09 AM in response to JAH1294

I can't! When I start the Boot Camp utility, I can't get past the first screen (where the introductory text is displayed). When I click 'next' it says: You need at least 50 GB of free disk space to continue. Which I don't have because 40 GB of my 120 are lost and the remaining 80 is almost full with OS X and apps. 😟

Oct 9, 2015 12:16 PM in response to Rokyo

Rokyo wrote:

I can't! When I start the Boot Camp utility, I can't get past the first screen (where the introductory text is displayed). When I click 'next' it says: You need at least 50 GB of free disk space to continue. Which I don't have because 40 GB of my 120 are lost and the remaining 80 is almost full with OS X and apps. 😟

Please start a new Bootcamp discussion and post the output of the following commands.

diskutil list

diskutil cs list

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

The "sudo" commands will prompt for your password, and it will not be echoed back. You may also see a warning about improper use of "sudo" and potential data loss due to "abuse" of the command.

Partition lost after Boot Camp assistant crashed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.