Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems restoring iPad. Forgotten Password

I have trouble restoring an iPad, this is basically how I don't have the passcode:

A family member recently asked for my help restoring her iPad. She bought one a few months ago and asked her granddaughter to help her set it up. Well, when she set it up, the granddaughter set a passcode, and apparently didn't say what the passcode was. Now (for personal reasons unknown) are not in contact at all, and so she can't ask her. So when I saw the problem, I agreed to restore it to its original factory settings....Easy right?...No.

So now my issue. I have gone though all the steps on the apple support sight to restore using recovery mode. Before this my relative tried to guess the passcode, and so now she won't dare try again, because the timer reached an hour.

When I plug the ipad in, it attempts to download software (4/5 hours remaining). After waiting for ages for that I get this message: "iTunes could not connect to the iPad “iPad” because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPad before it can be used with iTunes."

I'm really confused and frustrated. This happens each time I try to restore it. Any help?

Thanks

iPad Air

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 4:20 AM

3 replies

Oct 9, 2015 4:27 AM in response to Chigz875

Please don't take this the wrong way, but are you certain that you are performing the steps properly?

If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

IF you are sure that you are doing it as instructed in the support article, have you tried using Find my iPhone? If that's not an option, try another computer.

Problems restoring iPad. Forgotten Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.