Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is fcpx saving to internal as well as external HD?

I'm new to FCPX. I've just digitised some 25 hours of footage on my 16G 3GHz MacBook Pro, Yosemite OS X 10.10.5, saving to my 3TB G-tech external drive.

my understanding was that saving on an external drive would keep my mac free to run the programs I need to edit.

but it looks like copies are also being saved on my internal HD.

my questions are:

can I just throw the internal HD copies out? and if I do, will there be other files lurking around somewhere in another folder that I need to delete?

and what settings in FCPX should I change so that what I digitise only saves to my external? as well as any new projects?

I am not working on the footage at the moment, I just want it digitised and saved.

this mac is new and it's already telling me I'm out of space for any more programs to download, which is specifically why I got the external drive.

Thanks for any help. I'll answer any questions I can, but I really don't know what I'm doing!

mac OSX, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 2:09 AM

5 replies

Oct 9, 2015 6:04 AM in response to lubedoo

lubedoo wrote:

I'm new to FCPX. I've just digitised some 25 hours of footage on my 16G 3GHz MacBook Pro,

Not sure what you mean by digitizing. Are you converting analog footage to digital using a converter device? Or do you mean transferring media files to your system using FCP X import function?

If the footage is already digital, the two general ways to work with it are: 1) copy the files to the system and then import, either leaving in place (single copy) or saving to the library (two copies). 2) import directly using FCP's import function wherein the only option is to save to the library (single copy)

Russ

Oct 9, 2015 7:29 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

there seems to be a library on my desktop under movies. plus on my g-tech HD where I saved it.

what's the difference between managed media and external media?

I'm prepping to pass on to editor, who does not want to have to 'digitise' the footage. by this I mean, original is on digital tape which needs to be imported.

I am assuming that I've missed a setting which would send it ONLY to the external. like, my mac automatically saves a copy of everything unless I somehow direct it not to.

Oct 9, 2015 7:37 AM in response to lubedoo

You can have as many libraries as you want. How big are they? Which library did you use to import your media?

Managed media is a library that has your files embedded inside the library bundle. External media is a library where the files are in a folder or location external to the library, and the library, events, and projects simply point to those files.

You cannot capture to two libraries simultaneously. The application simply does not do that.

why is fcpx saving to internal as well as external HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.